Monday, July 15, 2013

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) 7/15/13 It was supposed to be hot today so I figured was could make it a flat quick ride and try to get home before we melted. And because it was going to be flat I thought I would ride my Klein. So I had breakfast, put on my kit and headed for Burger King. The group must have been as eager as I was because Digger and Dura Max were already there but Highlander, Tax Man, Dragon Slayer and Blain pulled in right after I did. Blood hound Gambler, Daredevil, Quicksilver and Torpedo were there early as well. We waited till 8am on the dot before heading south on Gilmore and picking up T-3. She turned around and took us to Acacia and Kirby before heading south again.
I fell into line and let Bloodhound lead me to Cypress and west to Johnston. Bloodhound took us north on Sanderson to Wentworth and we had to wait at the light till we had a clear street on which to make a left turn. I was just as happy to follow everyone to the airport road and west out onto Stetson.
Somehow I got out onto Stetson first and picked it up till we reached Warren. Quicksilver pulled ahead and Highlander followed and soon several riders has separated from the rest of us. I feel on with Tax Man, Dura Max and T-3 as the bid dogs rolled by and started to close down the B group breakaway. As my group of four moved to Stowe we say the big dogs blow by the breakaway and head for Winchester were we were all going to regroup again.
Once everyone was rested and ready to go I led us out onto Winchester and south. I was going to try and hammer the segment and soon created a gap. However as I rounded the curve the wind hit me right in the face and I knew I was going to come up short. I did round the corner onto the dump road first but soon found myself chased down and moved to the back of the pack. Two of the big dogs, Daredevil and Torpedo took off like scalded dogs and faded into the distance. In fact they missed the turn at Leon and had to come back to it just as I got there.
I had to wait for Tax Man while Dura Max and T-3 headed for Simpson and I let Tax Man lead me down Leon to Simpson and west towards Briggs. Tax Man was running strong and I was more than happy to stay in the draft all the way till we regrouped with the Highlander group.
We rounded the corner onto Lindenburger and noticed the A group waiting at the first cross street. Highlander, T-3, Dura Max, Tax Man, Quicksilver rode on by only to get to light at Domenigoni first. Highlander wanted to regroup at the top of the saddle but I told him we might have to chase Quicksilver all the way to Leon. Quicksilver did hot the hill first and did it pretty fast but I did catch her and we did wait for the others. I hit it hard on the downside of the saddle and ran alone all the way to Leon where the A group caught and passed me. Everyone else caught me at Winchester and the B group stayed together all the way to State Street and then over to Thornton to work our way back to Stetson.
Highlander took us to Columbia where we split again. Digger, Quicksilver and I turned towards Crest while Highlander, T-3, Tax man and Dura Max stayed on Stetson all the way to Fairview. Quicksilver pushed Digger and I all the way back out onto Stetson and finally we turned on to Fairview. We thought the rest of the B group was gone but we didn’t notice T-3 and Dura Max had pulled to the side of the road and were surprised to see them pull up behind us at Florida. We rode to Carl’s together and found some of the A group waiting for us. After our last break we headed for home with Dura Max and T-3 heading for Acacia and the west end of town while the rest of us moved up to Lincoln and headed west. I was surprised that some were still eager to run pretty hard towards Park and the pace didn’t slacken much as we moved towards Devonshire. Bloodhound left us and Dragon Slayer moved up to help move us onto Devonshire. A quick jog onto Devonshire and we were moving rapidly towards San Jacinto and then Santa Fe. We dropped onto Latham and soon moved past State Street. We crossed the light and closed in on Palm where Digger and I would be turning for home.
It seems as if I had guessed right on just how many carbs I had for breakfast because I was just starting to run out of energy as I rolled back over Florida and then Acacia. It was starting to get hot and I was going to be happy to get in and have lunch and a cool shower before kicking back for the rest of the afternoon. As they say, just another day in Southern California, great for cycling and being with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment