Wednesday, July 17, 2013

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) 7/17/13 It was going to be another guessing day between me and the weathermen. They were saying it was going to be a scorcher and I had to try and plan a ride that got us back home before our tires exploded from the heat. We had a good ride Monday and it wasn’t all that bad running out to Lake Perris and back so I rolled the dice and put up a 37-38 mile ride starting no farther east than Sage Street before heading west to Lindenburger and coffee at Chris’s. I headed for Burger King and got there about 7:30 am to meet Digger and Dura Max. As I parked my bike riders started showing up from every direction. By the time we were rolling down Latham to Lyon we had Bloodhound, Daredevil, Gambler, Dragon Slayer, Quicksilver, Bulldozer, and Rick from Beaumont, Shadow, Surgeon and T-3 in the group.
Only a few of us made it through the light on Florida and I led Quicksilver Dura Max, Bloodhound and Digger past Acacia and the Hemet Valley School District offices. The rest of the group didn’t catch up to us till we got to Johnston. As they pulled up behind us I had a feeling we were going to have a good A group and a strong B group. I got out front and took us over Stetson and then down to Thornton before turning east towards State Street.
I still had the lead on State and halfway to Domenigoni when Rick took over and gave me a break. He pulled us all the way to the curve on Cactus Valley and part way to the golf course when they A group decided to drop the hammer. I told Rick to go with them and took over the pull myself till we turned south on Sage. We got about halfway to Diamond Valley Market when the mounting bands broke on Quicksilver’s bike computer and we stopped to pick it up. We regrouped the Bs at the market and after a quick break we started back down towards Domenigoni. We knew we would have to run hard if the As turned around and gave chase so run hard we did. We couldn’t stay together on Domenigoni and split into two groups with Surgeon, Highlander and Quicksilver in front and Dura Max, T-3, Digger and I in back. Once again we regrouped at the Saddle thinking we had escaped being run down by the As. Picture 43
We dropped off the back side of the saddle and turned onto Lindenburger. Quicksilver made a quick stop for a phone call and three of us had to chase the fleeing group of Highlander, Surgeon, T-3 and Dura Max. I managed to pull Quicksilver up to them by Leon and Dura Max and T-3 turned onto Leon to head for home. At least that is what I thought they did. I pulled till we got to the last stand of trees on Simpson and told Quicksilver to spring a sprint on me as a surprise before we got to Winchester. She did very well and got to Winchester just in front of me. We stopped at Chris’s for coffee only to find most of the A group waiting for us. Gambler had already gone home it seems. One or two of the riders had to do some minor adjustments on their bikes before we were ready to head for home. When we got started I had to hang back with Quicksilver as she talked the owner of Chris’s into feeding a stray dog we spotted. Once again we had to give chase till we got to Stowe. By the time we got there the A group was long gone. T-3 and Dura Max were just ready to pull out of the Country Store and the B group was waiting for us. We were all back together heading east towards California.
We stayed together as a group till we got to California and then to Stetson. We turned east again and Rick pulled us to Warren before giving the lead back to me to get us to the airport. Highlander pulled to Sanderson and Quicksilver pulled to Lowes. It was a quick trip around Lowes to Acacia and then back to the parking lot. We sat and talked for a few moments before I headed for home, lunch and a shower. Once again I had a great day with friends and got home before the weather got too hot. A great day was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment