Friday, March 29, 2013
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
I had taken a few days off and relaxed down in Chula Vista camping in my RV with my wife. It was one of the times when you just unplug and kick back, and in my case read. Three days of sleeping till I felt like getting up, talking a walk if I felt like is and even a short bike ride to no place special. So when I got home I thought it would be a good time to change our ride a bit and do a pre-ride up to the turn out before the big climb heading to Idyllwild. Sure it was a bit longer than the Soboba to Cranston Station and sure there were some little climbs but my memory must have faded a bit I thought it was just a short 3 miles past Cranston and it would be an easy day. I posted the ride but I had no idea how it would be accepted by the group. Only Friday morning would tell the story so I looked forward to the group meet up just to see. I had nothing to fear because we had a pretty good turn out by 9am.
Once I pulled out onto Latham I really lost contact with just who was with us. Dura Max, Ruby Tuesday and T-3 seemed to have left before I got out onto the street. Looking back I was missing Gambler, Bulldozer, Kevin, (Macgyver) and D’Artagnon but they knew where we were going and where we were going to pick up Huntress so I didn’t worry much. I still had Surgeon, Highlander, Bloodhound, Centaur and Ferret so I knew we would run into the others sooner or later.
I was feeling pretty strong as I pulled us towards Esplanade all the while talking to Surgeon. Soon Highlander pulled up next to me to let me know we were short a few riders but as I said I already knew about part of them. He fell back and I stay in front all the way to Ramona Boulevard and headed east. Far off in the distance I could see three riders moving ahead of us and I had to assume it was Dura Max, Ruby Tuesday and T-3. They were waiting at the light on State about a quarter of a mile in front of us and just made it through the green before we got there. By the time we headed north we were only two lights behind them. By the time I noticed them Gambler, Bulldozer and D’Artagnon had joined us and we turned into Mickey Ds to see if Huntress was there. She wasn’t and it turned out she was waiting at Taco Bell and while we were trying to connect Dura Max and his group was pulling away from us.
Once we picked up Huntress we went into full chase mode heading north towards the College. Somehow Bloodhound let me pull as we rolled past the lights at the college and headed through the shadows of the trees just before the bridge over the dry wash. Normally I don’t pull this long and I am surprised how well I felt as we moved to the bridge and finally headed east on Soboba start the run towards the Golf course.
Normally I fall off and ride sweep on Soboba but today I pulled us over the first roller and then the second before giving up the lead to Bloodhound. Only four riders past me before Surgeon offered to let me back in line behind Bloodhound, Highlander, Gambler and D’Artagnon. Bloodhound pulled like a freight train but I was in the draft between Gambler and D’Artagnon and was almost cruising along with the group. I knew as soon as we crested the little rise past the driving range Gambler and D’Artagnon would go after Highlander and Bloodhound so I simply rolled around them when they went. Surgeon, Ferret and Centaur came by as well and we could see Dura Max, T-3 and Ruby Tuesday leaving the shade of the trees as we pulled up for a quick regroup.
I realized that I had been pushing my heart rate just a bit coming down Soboba and I couldn’t hit the climb past Cranston if it was much over 150. As soon as everyone was ready to go I took off at a bit slower pace heading for the dry wash bridge with Macgyver and Highlander on my wheel. For a change I was determined not to attack the bridge and just watched as several of the other riders rode by me and up to the light at Main. We headed east on Ramona and I started to gear down to save myself for Fairview and the climb east. I let the group pull away as I set it on cruise control heading for Cedar and then to Florida. I caught Dura Max and his group at the light on Fairview and followed them up to Cranston where Bloodhound, Huntress and Macgyver surprised us after we rode by.
Ruby Tuesday flatted so she, Dura Max and T-3 decided to head back home while Huntress, Bloodhound, Macgyver and I headed towards the regroup turnout about 7 miles up the road. I ended up being the last to the regroup spot but at least I kept the heart rate under 150 most of the way. The group let me rest for a few minutes before we dropped off of the mountain and raced back to Carl’s.
I could have used a few more minutes rest but still I did much better heading for Carl’s than I did climbing to the turn out. Most of us stopped for coffee except for Surgeon and Highlander who had left when we first started the climb. Bulldozer first stopped at casino and then we saw him sprint by as we had coffee. After about 15 minutes we got ready to leave.
D’Artagnon, Bloodhound and Centaur were heading in another direction than Gambler, Huntress and I so we said our goodbyes and pulled out of the parking lot headed north and south to start our separate ride home. I rode with Gambler and Huntress for just a few blocks before they turned off for home leaving me to head pack to Palm by myself. I got home with a few more miles than my map seemed to indicate we had gone but still I felt good even in a bit dehydrated.
3/29/2013
I downed a bottle of sugar free punch and started lunch before taking my shower and putting on my street clothes. If this weather holds we will have a terrific spring and it should be a great ride for the Amgen tour when they come through.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment