Wednesday, March 13, 2013

3/13/2013 By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) I had high hopes for today. The weather was supposed to be nice and sunny with little or no wind. I couldn’t even imagine not having a good turn out and a good ride. The only slight distraction might be that I was that I would be on my backup bike and even that isn’t a bad thing because I like my backup bike. I had a quick breakfast, put on my kit and headed for Burger King. I must have left the house early or I must have been pushing it because I got there well before anyone else. I could feel the warm sun bouncing off of the windows and it was clear to me I didn’t need arm or leg warmers. This was almost like summer weather and I felt like a plant must feel after a long winter. I started to walk inside to get a cup of coffee I noticed two riders pulling up, Digger and Dura Max. When I walked back outside Bloodhound and Highlander were waiting. I noticed Surgeon had come out of hibernation and was going to ride with us today along with Bulldozer, Gambler and D’Artagnon. Next thing I knew Huntress was pulling into the parking lot followed by Chinook and Artemis. The last rider to join the group was T-3 giving us 13 riders ready to leave by 9am. It was good to see Surgeon and Highlander following me north on Lyon with the rest of the group stringing out behind. I was also surprised at how quickly we were ramping up heading past Devonshire. By Fruitvale Street we were almost at Pace Line speed and everyone was rolling along easily. Bloodhound got out front at Esplanade and stayed there till we got to Cottonwood and started to move onto single file to get ready for the left on Ramona towards Sanderson. I had to sprint past Bloodhound to get a picture as we started the first leg west. Bloodhound pulled us to Sanderson and then to the light on the expressway before we turned west towards Bridge. As we got close to Warren we started to break into two groups and I pulled out of the front ranks to pick up the B group. The A group started to separate from us and were far enough ahead to distract the dogs at that second dairy so that by the time we got there the Golden was tired and only barked as we rolled by. Still we were at least a quarter of a mile back when we turned on Bridge and almost that far back as we raced to catch the As who were parked at Gilman. We only had a few moments before Highlander was pushing me to get us started east back toward Sanderson. I always hate the first pull east on Gilman because it always tires me out before I get to the flat spot but today it didn’t bother me so much. I gave up the lead as we leveled off and fell in about five riders back to stay on Gambler’s wheel till I could get back in front and make sure we stayed on Gilman rather than the traditional run down Sanderson. It seems as if there was some serious construction at State and Ramona and Digger wanted to avoid it We regrouped under Lamb’s Canyon overpass and then started east on Gilman with me still pulling. I gave up the pull in front to Golden Productions and fell back to pick up and stragglers. They weren’t that far back so we were still within sight of the lead group as we rolled over the little incline at the entrance to the Scientology center and started down the little grade that would turn into State at Soboba. We rounded the corner and met the rest of the group on the side of the road before continuing on towards the two big rollers and the golf course. I managed to hang on over the rollers and caught Huntress’s back wheel heading for the driving range. I let her wear herself out pulling me to the last hill before the regroup and then passed her. It should be noted that I am not too proud to hide behind the wheel of a woman riding stronger than me. And I rejoined the group just in front of her. Once we were back on our way I managed to gap the group, ok they didn’t realize I was gaping them but I got far enough ahead that I could cross the dry wash and get to the Stop Light without being challenged. I did get caught at the light and was sitting there as everyone else pulled up next to or behind me but that didn’t matter because I knew we didn’t have far to go before coffee. I took off at the light change and headed for Hemet Street. I didn’t stay in front and soon Bloodhound took the lead and pulled away. At that point we broke into groups of three or four and chatted away as we moved past Hemet Street and came up on Cedar. Bloodhound made it through but the rest of us got caught at the light. Soon we were on our way and I got a chance to try and pull the group up the Bloodhound. He didn’t know which way we were going at Fairview and Florida so we caught him at the turn and followed him to Carl’s for coffee and conversation. As we walked in D’Artagnon debated on having a Hamburger and looked to be discussing it with another customer as I walked in. Some of us got coffee and other just something cold to drink and we sat down to discuss and solve the pressing questions of the world, or at least the problems of the US and Canada. By the time I downed my Odwalla bar Huntress had to leave to get her hair down and Bloodhound had an appointment. Chinook and Artemis were going to ride Bautista Canyon and I guess Bulldozer, Gambler and D’Artagnon went with them. Dura Max and T-3 headed for the west end of town on Acacia while Digger, Surgeon, Highlander and I headed for Lincoln and home. The four of us stayed together all the way back to Palm where Digger and I split to go north and south and Surgeon and Highlander headed back to their cars at Burger King. I may have just a touch of sun burn when I stepped into my shower but it felt good and I had a great day with great people.

No comments:

Post a Comment