Wednesday, March 6, 2013
3/6/2013
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
The winter weather was trying to sneak back in this week and I for one am not happy about it. I don’t like the cold and I wasn’t impressed with the drop in temperature from what was expected earlier in the week. Still with the prediction of rain on Friday I figured we needed some mileage today so we could do the out and back to Lake Elsinore. I didn’t know how many riders would show up but it didn’t matter I wanted to do this ride and I would have done it alone if I had to. So I put on a base layer and my kit, tossed on a wind vest and headed for Burger King.
Things were looking pretty good by 8:45 with Digger, Dura Max, Highlander, Chinook, Artemis and Dragon Slayer already waiting to go. As soon as Bloodhound and Bulldozer arrived we were ready to go so we took off down Gilmore to Acacia to head towards Kirby.
I almost felt under dressed without a jacket as we pulled up to the light on Kirby. As the light changed a bit of sun popped through the clouds and I could feel just a bit of warmth. Not enough to go without arm and leg warmers but at least enough to make riding in a vest a bit more comfortable. I might not have been ready for a hard run west on Domenigoni but I felt I could pull us there once we got on Sanderson and after cruising through the housing tract on Cypress. That is just what I did as we made the left at the light and crossed Stetson.
We lost Dura Max before we made the turn. It was simply too cold for the amount of clothes he had on. But I managed to get us to Domenigoni and pulled till Bloodhound took over. We stayed together pretty well till Bulldozer took over and kicked up the pace. Digger was maxed out at 20 so I didn’t try to stay with the group. Chinook got in front of me and pulled all the way to Winchester before I noticed we had once again dropped Digger and I pulled off to wait for him and pull him to the regroup point on the top of the Saddle.
Once we were all together it was time to drop down the back side of the saddle and head for a nature stop at Carl’s. We were rolling along at a pretty good clip till we caught the light red at Lindenburger. We did make it through the green at Menifee and Dragon Slayer took us past Antelope and the freeway to Haun. Bloodhound started a fast pull to Bradley and Dragon Slayer pulled me up to his back wheel when the speed demon Bulldozed came rolling up from behind. I got on his wheel and he pulled me past Bloodhound only to start to ride away from me. As I tried to pick up my pace a bit the light in front of us turned and only Bulldozer made it while the rest of us had to stop. We followed a few minutes later to the regroup point at Carl’s. Our next stop would be on the other side of Railroad Canyon.
We pulled out of the parking lot a few minutes behind a lone rider in a blue kit heading for Goetz. At the start of the hill everyone spread out. Once Bulldozer caught the lone rider and pulled next to him he said hello but was totally ignored as were the rest of our riders as we past him. I guess we were in the wrong color kit. But it didn’t matter as we all regrouped at Mickey Ds for coffee.
All we needed to do was a ride back east through Railroad Canyon and home. We headed back out onto Railroad Canyon and headed east with Bulldozer dropping the hammer early as we started the climb. After a strong ride into the wind when we were heading east I was looking forward to some tail wind heading east. It wasn’t to be however because the wind had changed direction and was almost swirling as we made the climb and lost sight of Bulldozer as he turned off to get a KOM on the Canyon Hills/Holland road segment. The group waited for Digger and I at the first turn out and he rode past Murrieta together and continued east.
By Winchester we had picked up Bloodhound who had flamed out a bit and need a pull back to Sanderson. Chinook, Dragon slayer and I took turns pulling after we started towards Warren and Chinook was in the lead as we crossed the dry wash. Bloodhound seemed to be recovering but he looked like he was in pain and so there was no reason to try and keep the pace above 19. Once we got through the light at Warren I got the lead back and pulled us over the rise and zeroed in on Sanderson.
Once we were heading north Highlander seemed to get a second wind and he followed Dragon Slayer around Bloodhound and rolled on down to Stetson. We caught up to them there and stayed with them till we got to Johnston where Bloodhound and I turned off and headed for home. Bloodhound was still hurting but nothing a ice pack shouldn’t care of. He stayed with me till I got past Palm and headed for home myself. It started to cool down a bit more as I pulled up to my house but I knew I had a hot shower to look forward to and a BLT for lunch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment