Wednesday, May 4, 2011

5/4/2011
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)



I knew it was going to be a warm day but it didn’t matter that much because it felt pretty good as long you were moving. With that in mind I had planned on a favorite ride of mine, Bridge Street to Soboba and down to Carl’s on Florida. When we pulled out of the parking lot we were 14 strong and headed for Lyon to go north towards Ramona.


We didn’t start out in much of a hurry and Dura-Max and I spent a good portion of the ride up Lyon just talking and enjoying the morning. Looking back I could see that most everyone must be doing the same thing and were talking because we were strung out about a block from front to back. The positions didn’t change much till we got to Ramona and headed towards Sanderson where Blood Hound pulled forwards to pull us all the way to the light at Sanderson and Ramona expressway.

The A and B group separated right after the red light at Warren with eight of us in the B group and six in the A group. We watched as Gambler pulled the A group away from us while we followed towards Bridge Street past the dairy farms. We were about a half of a mile behind then as they turned on Bridge Street and could barely see them as the rounded the turn t head towards Gilman. As we made the turn towards Gilman we could see Raptor between us and the A group. They stopped at Gilman so we could regroup.

As we got ready to head back to Sanderson I thought to myself that we looked pretty good on our club jerseys and it was obvious we would be easy to see. We split again and headed for Sanderson. This time Blood Hound, Gambler, Attack cat, Surgeon and Wolf made up the A group and they quickly pulled away from us again. We regrouped once more just before Sanderson to confirm how we were getting to Soboba and the As left first.

Somehow when the B group got to State Street we were joined by the A group and we ended up riding all the way to Soboba together. I was pretty sure the pace would pick up again once we were in the canyon but I had no intention of giving chase. Everyone rode together as we rolled over the first little hill and I found myself pulling both groups. Still as soon as we headed for the second roller Gambler and several others pulled out of line and passed me heading for the golf course.

I stayed with part of the B group as I watched Wolf, Surgeon, Attack Cat, Blood Hound and Gambler fade into the distance. Then Double Time pulled in front of me and pulled me up to Wolf and then Surgeon where we formed a new pace line and closed on the tail end of the A group. Still we found Gambler and Blood Hound waiting for us at the Golf Course and we regrouped once more with Attack Cat leaving us and heading for home. We lost Huntress and Highlander when we turned on Cedar and Gambler headed for home before we got to Carl’s. Still we had a good sized group stopping for coffee and conversation before heading for home on Lincoln.

Dura-max and Raptor broke off at Park leaving T-3, Warden, CycoBob, Wolf, Surgeon, Double Time and I to head over to Columbia and then onto Devonshire. So far it had been a good ride and it wasn’t as hot as I expected. I broke off at Lyon with Wolf and T-3 and we rode down to Whittier together before T-3 left us for home. I left wolf at Johnston and got home with 40 plus miles on the computer. Not bad for a day that started out as an easy cruise.

No comments:

Post a Comment