Monday, April 25, 2011

4/25/2011
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)



Part of the song goes, “Monday, Monday can’t trust that day.” No matter what is planned for Monday the rides are never predictable. Today was a typical Monday. I got to Burger king with 4 riders already waiting for me and two more unloading their vehicles. People kept pulling up till we had 12 ready to ride by 8:30. We pulled out onto Latham and turned on Lyon and started at an easy pace south towards Florida and then Stetson. Our goal was Thornton and east towards Santa Fe.


Blood Hound and Surgeon followed closely as we turned on Thornton and I kept the pace rather easy while everyone chatted away. I was more or less daydreaming about what would happen once we got to Fairview and even more importantly made the run up Bautista Canyon. The challenge is the 9 mile climb to the top that people tent to push the whole way. My expectation was that the speedsters would take off at the base of the Canyon and leave the rest of us to follow as best we could only to regroup at the top. Just as I pictured the run in my mind Attack Cat passed me but rather than pulling in front to assist with the pull he started a mild breakaway taking Blood Hound with him. Looking back at Gambler, Rocket, D’Artagnon and Centaur I could see a look of wanting to give chase. Wolf and Sea Lion seemed content to ride in support and Dura-max, Surgeon and T-3 looked like they were perfectly happy to be on cruise as we got to State Street.

We stayed together all the way to Santa Fe but it felt a bit like holding a pack of hunting dogs on a leash with the command to heel. Attack Cat and Blood Hound we almost out of sight as we pulled out onto Stetson and I could feel the tension in the pack almost pushing me along. I would guess we were about two miles behind Attack Cat and Blood Hound as we headed for Columbia and the turn towards Crest. The group started to stack up behind me and I started to push towards Lake Street. We may have closed to a mile and a quarter as we got to Lake and Stetson where I noticed we had pulled away from T-3 and Dura-max. I called a stop to regroup at Lake and Stetson and made the decision to release the hounds and let them chase Attack Cat and Blood Hound who we could no longer see.

Rocket, Gambler, D’Artagnon, Centaur and Wolf took off as we waited for Dura-max and T-3. I pulled out onto Stetson with Sea Lion and Surgeon in Tow. We caught Raptor about half way to Fairview and made the turn towards Bautista. By now the hounds had closed to within about half a mile of Attack Cat and Blood Hound. They were closing fast and they could see their prey in front of them. Blood Hound was starting to lose steam and Rocket decided to cut back while the three remaining hounds caught their prey somewhere between the 11 and 12 mile mark of the ride. Gambler took off and D’Artagnon followed heading for the top of the canyon. I found Rocket parked next to Blood Hound who seemed in need of some electrolytes. Quick-Sticks joined us and once Dura-max and T-3 pulled up several of us took off to finish the climb. We all made it with Sea Lion and Wolf chasing me like predators looking for a meal.

We made sure Blood Hound was rested before heading back down the canyon with Blood Hound leading. We lost Quick-sticks and T-3 at Stetson and the rest of us held a pace line all the way to Carl’s for coffee. It was good to see Quick-Sticks back with us and to see Surgeon back on the bike after a winter layoff. We were also pretty impressed with the pursuit we had just witnessed. With the determination that was shown I should have called the group Cerberus rather than the Musketeers. There is no reason to worry I am not about to change nicknames this late in the game. After our rest at Carl’s those of us left headed for home on Lincoln. I got back home with 38 miles on the computer. All in all a good day even for a Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment