Monday, October 18, 2010

10/18/2010
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)




This is the time of year when we have to watch the weather closely and try to see if we have enough time to get in a ride or stay home and clean our bike. I started watching the weather reports on Saturday both on TV and on the computer. I am beginning to understand what a cut off low is and how it can lead to rain even when it isn’t that cold. So I was not surprised to see that it had rained overnight and it was at least clearing slightly when I went out to get the paper this morning. I dressed warmly and headed for the door about 8:30 noticing the streets were just starting to dry.

I rode to Burger King on my back up Jamis because I was pretty sure I was going to get dirty. By the time I pulled into the parking lot I could see my chain stay was already coated with road grime. Dura-max was waiting for me as I pulled up and I noticed Wolf was unloading his bike on the other side of the parking lot. A black Tahoe pulled up and when the window rolled down we say Ocelot who had stopped by to wish us well as she picked up breakfast. Puma pulled up and started to unload his bike just as Ruby Tuesday parked her bike next to the wall. I was expecting both Quicksticks and Bounty Hunter but only Bounty Hunter pulled up. By 9am six of us were ready to head down Gilmore and start the run to Cactus Valley.


We were in a bit of a hurry to get over to Kirby and then to Sanderson in an attempt to beat any rain. We were in luck as we quickly made it to Domenigoni and headed for State Street where we planned to turn south and make a run for Cactus Valley. We didn’t go all that far before we saw Sherpa coming towards us on State. He turned around and caught up with us as we got to the Diamond Valley Golf Course. He took the lead as we hit the hill at Sage and Cactus Valley and sprinted to the top of the hill.

Wolf was coming on strong when he tossed a chain and had to catch up after replacing it onto the chain ring. We regrouped at the end of the pavement and got ready to head back down to Stetson and then east where I thought we would see Quicksticks.

We rode down State to McSweeney and then back out onto State all the way to Chambers then Thornton and finally Santa Fe and Stetson. We lost Bounty Hunter at Girard and the rest of us continued on to Columbia and then Crest before coming back on Stetson and heading towards Fairview. A few drops of water hit us but nothing to slow us down to the point where we wanted to call the ride off.
Sherpa and Puma took off on a sprint and left the rest of us to follow onto Fairview and then head south to the housing track at Wilson Mesa and then made the run back to Florida where we were planning on having coffee at Carl’s. Ruby Tuesday took off for home as we passed Stetson again and five of us made it to Carl’s without any problems. I for one was looking forward to some hot coffee and as we sat down Ocelot stopped by to visit with us before we headed back to Burger King. Dura-max left us at Park and Puma, Sherpa, Wolf and I continued on to Devonshire.

We got back to the west side of town and I said my goodbyes before heading for Lyon with Sherpa. The ride itself was only supposed to be 33 miles but with my ride to and from Burger King I ended up with 37 miles. It turned out to be a great ride and a good workout for a Monday. I honestly enjoy the company of this group about as much as I enjoy the rides themselves. When I think about having to miss a ride because of rain I know I can always make up the miles another day but I know I will miss to conversation and company of the group and that is something I cannot recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment