Friday, November 4, 2016

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) I wasn’t sure how Friday was going to go after getting so tired on Wednesday but I wanted to ride anyway so I posted a nice mid distance ride and headed to the bike shop to join the group. Digger and Earth Dog were there as was Dragon Slayer. Looked like a good start anyway. Highlander and Centaur arrived followed by Barracuda and Minotaur. Randy, (Dalmatian) had joined us today and it was looking even better as we left the bike shop and headed for Lyon and Acacia. Highlander led us to Acacia and started us towards Kirby. I pulled up front and took us to the light on Kirby and then south towards Cypress.
I got us to Cypress and headed for Johnston with the group following me. I was thinking we could have an easy ride for a Friday but I wasn’t sure we could hold back Barracuda, Dragon Slayer and Minotaur. What has turned out to be true in most cases is the ride develops a life of its own once we turn onto Domenigoni and head west. I was pretty sure today would be no different. I also knew that I felt much better today than I did Wednesday. I got us to Johnston and the light at Sanderson where we waited for a green and headed south towards Stetson. I managed to get us through the light and headed for Mustang.
It wasn’t long before Dragon Slayer took the lead and pulled us past Mustang and headed for Domenigoni. I rounder the corner in second and stuck to Dragon Slayer’s wheel till we crested the rise and headed for Warren. Before we got to Warren Minotaur took the lead and headed for the Dry wash. We made the bridge with everyone in tow but lost two on the sight climb. The rest of us were on the downhill side of the Dry Wash Bridge and heading for Winchester. At Winchester we caught the light and when we got started again Dalmatian had to slow down to get the salt our of his eyes. That left Minotaur in the front and he soon had Highlander and I drafting him and heading for Leon. As we crossed Leon Dragon Slayer had been trying to pull the group up to us but we were going to make the saddle climb first. I could see Barracuda break from the group but I didn’t think he had time to catch us before we crested. Highlander fell off on the climb and I pulled up to help Minotaur. I was leading when Barracuda caught us and rolled by. Minotaur chased him over the top and I was well behind as we started down towards Leon. I caught them at the light and pulled all the way to the gas station on Menifee.
We regrouped with everyone at the gas station and once they were all ready I took them out onto Menifee and headed south towards Holland. I had decided to make a run at Revival today. It has been a long time since I pushed the hill on Holland and I was planning on getting my legs working starting with today. Highlander and Digger we out front at we headed south and they crossed Holland first with Earth Dog right behind them. Earth Dog pulled out front at the hill kicked up and Minotaur pulled in behind him with Dragon Slayer following him. Ferret had joined us at the gas station and he attacked the hill next followed by Barracuda. Once they went by I pulled in front of Earth Dog only to get caught by Dragon Slayer and Minotaur. That took some wind out of my sails a bit and Earth Dog caught me but I got back up and pulled ahead and managed to crest right behind Minotaur. We didn’t wait at the top this time and I ended up chasing Minotaur to Scott where Dragon Slayer, Ferret and Barracuda were waiting. Once again we regrouped and watched as Highlander rolled by heading for Haun. We ended up regrouping with Highlander at Haun.
We decided to send Digger off as a rabbit heading north on Haun and gave him a good head start. Dalmatian was next to chase him and Earth Dog took off to give chase as soon as I let the group go. It took me a while to catch Earth Dog but I caught hom just before he caught Digger. Took over out front and pulled hard towards Holland only to get caught by Barracuda and his own personal train. We made it to Holland and I slowed to let Centaur catch up with Digger and Damlatian. Centaur and I couldn’t quite catch the rest of the group because of the lights but we got to the gas station on New Port on the same light at they went though. Once again we took a break to regroup and refill the water bottles.
As we got ready to head west on Newport we split into two groups and I stayed with the back four. We were about 100 yards behind the leaders as we got to Bradley and stayed that far back all the way north towards McCall. I have been cruising Bradley the few time we had been ion it but I pushed a bit as we tried to close on the lead group. I rounded the corner on McCall and headed for the freeway with the leaders in sight. I closed to within one light and got caught after they made their way through. I did see highlander on Hospital Hill and closed to within 25 yards before we crested but I could catch him. We started down the hill at I did pull up to him at the light on Menifee where we saw the rest of the group waiting for us. We regrouped after the light.
We decided to take Briggs to the dump road and head east back towards Leon. We had to ride through the little patch of dirt on Briggs but we all made it to the paved part of the dump road safely. We were all together till Minotaur picked up the pace and separated Ferret, Dragon Slayer, Highlander and I from the rest of the group. We made it by Leon and Dragon Slayer had to fall off because of a sore knee. I stayed with him and pulled by to pull him to the top of the rise and onto the flag sprint. Minotaur and Ferret got away and Barracuda brought the rest of the group up to us. We started the sprint but got mixed up at least twice and almost clipped each other till we separated into a long line. Dragon Slayer and Barracuda chased Minotaur and Ferret to Winchester farms and there we regrouped and had a coffee break. As soon as we were ready we started east once more and headed for California Street.
A group of four of us headed north on California and made it to Stetson. I looked back as we turned onto Stetson and saw that Barracuda, Ferret, Centaur, Dalmatian and Digger were well off of the pace. I went back to get them as Barracuda and Ferret caught me. Centaur pulled up next to me about halfway to Warren. I stopped at Warren and picked up Dalmatian and Digger before pulling them to Cawston and then over to Sanderson. I took us back to Lowes and started towards the back of the store only to notice I had lost Dalmatian. It turned out he had a flat as we made the turn so I went back while he changed it. The two of us ended up riding back to the bike shop were some of the group was waiting before I headed for home, lunch and a hot shower. It was a great improvement over Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment