Wednesday, November 2, 2016
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
Did anyone besides me notice that it was 45 degrees at 6am this morning? Not only that, it was only 47 when I left the house heading towards the bike shop. I already knew Dragon Slayer would be waiting for us at Lakewood market. I also knew that Minotaur and Bulldozer would be chasing us on the Expressway because it was Minotaur that had asked for the ride. One other thing I knew was that from the moment I headed down the street the beta blockers had control and I would be fighting it all day.
I got to the shop and found Digger and Earth Dog waiting. We talked for a while and thought maybe we were the only riders heading west today. Highlander showed up just as we were ready to leave and we started north on Lyon to got to the Expressway. I pulled to Esplanade and we waited at the light briefly before heading to Seventh and on to Cottonwood. I continued out front till we got to Ramona Boulevard and gave the lead to Highlander and Earth Dog. They pulled us to Sanderson and to the light on the expressway. I started us west and pulled part of the way to Warren where Highlander took over. Highlander got us past Warren and then to Bridge where Earth Dog took a turn at the front. We stayed in a pretty good pace line most of the way to Hansen except for the pace mile or so where Digger faded.
We pulled into the Lakewood market and met Dragon Slayer and stopped for a break and waited for Bulldozer and Minotaur.
We didn’t have to wait long for Digger and only a minute or two before Bulldozer and Minotaur arrived. They must have been pushing pretty hard and if we hadn’t stopped at Hansen they more than likely would have caught us on the rollers in front of Lake Perris.
Highlander had to head back as we got ready to ride over the rollers and Digger decided to leave with him. I thought about bailing out myself but I figured I would push through and head around the lake. We waved as the two riders headed east and I led the way onto the Expressway. I pulled as hard as I could to the beginning of the rollers and fell moff as we started to climb. It was my intention to save my legs for the ride behind the lake and the very long run on Gilman Springs. Still the first roller took a lot out of me and I only partly recovered by the second roller. Earth dog waited for me and we rode together to Evens where the rest of the group was waiting for us. I took the time to remove my jacket and started towards the Mickey Ds on Iris.
Dragon Slayer pulled for me as we made our way to Mickey Ds and we took a bathroom break before Earth Dog led us west towards the front gate of Lake Perris. I got on his wheel and we made our way to Redlands road before curving around and heading towards Alessandro. As we curved into the wind from the north I started to run out of fuel and could feel my legs getting tired. Dragon Slayer pulled me onto Alessandro and we stopped so I could rest. I had thought I would just trail the group back out to Gilman Springs but they put me in the pack and got me to Gilman a lot faster than I could have made it on my own.
Once we were headed east on Gilman I was tucked neatly into the pace line and holding my own. We got within sight of the rise leading to Bridge road and my energy level just dropped. I was going to fall off and let the rest of the group go but Bulldozer gave me a hand and kept me in the line all the way up the grade and then got in front to pull me to Sanderson. Once on Sanderson Earth Dog took off and headed for the Expressway and at first I followed but I knew it was time to conserve energy if I wanted to get home without falling off of my bike. Dragon Slayer headed west on the Expressway while Bulldozer and Minotaur went east and I followed Earth Dog back to Lyon and south.
I followed Earth Dog back to Seventh street before I broke off and headed for home to get my wife to an appointment. I picked a easy to spin gear and made it home with little fanfare and some real sore legs. Still it was a good day for a ride even if it wasn’t one of my best days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment