Wednesday, September 14, 2016

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) Monday was a bit hectic for me so I was more or less looking forward to a nice flat ride for Wednesday. I posted one of Highlander’s favorite rides and headed for the bike shop to join some friends for what I thought was going to be a cruise. I knew Digger was going to be gone so it might have ended up being just Earth Dog and me. However Centaur joind us again and soon Highlander was with us as well. We headed out onto Lyon and started our ride sough and then west. We got to Kirby and headed south once more trying to get to Cypress.
I managed to pull us to Cypress and got us headed west towards Johnston. So far the pace was reasonable and I was pretty sure I could hold the pace for most of the ride. I got us to Johnston and Sanderson where we waited to cross the street and head for Cawston. They let me lead all the way to Stetson and start west once again. I managed to pull us to Warren and waited till Centaur pulled out front and I fell to the back and drafted the group towards California. Once we were ready to turn south on California I moved up to get a picture before falling back again and falling in line.
I followed Earth Dog and Highlander onto Stowe and we made a run west towards Winchester. At the rise before the first house on the left Centaur pulled out front and kicked the pace up a notch. About halfway to the parking lot Centaur started to fade a bit so I pulled up front to take over and get us to Winchester farms. I was on my Klein and with the aero bars was less affected by the slight breeze in our face. I got us to the parking lot and we took a short break for a drink before starting back out onto Winchester and south towards the dump road and west again.
Once again Centaur pulled up front and took the lead before we got to the Wild West Arena. I fell into the second slot and followed Centaur to the rise and over towards Leon. The course was planned to head either to Leon and over to Simpson to head west to Menifee or Briggs to Mapes and over to Menifee. However it seemed like a good idea to head all the way west on the dump road and then go through the dirt to Briggs and down to McCall before heading to Menifee. So I pulled up to Centaur and let him know of the course change. I then pulled up front and led us to the dirt and south towards McCall.
I waited till we were all together and then Earth Dog took over and pulled us west on McCall and a short cut to Menifee. We made our way to the Am/PM and took another break and filled a water bottle or two. Up to this point I was pretty impressed with our pace because we were averaging almost 17 mph. It wasn’t exactly the cruise I had been looking for. Once we were back on the road I took up the last slot in the draft and watched as Highlander pull us towards Mapes. Centaur decided to take over for him and pull us to the top of the rise and started down the long run down Menifee to Central. As the pace picked up I dropped into the Aero Bars and took my turn at the front. Centaur stayed with me pulling Earth Dog and Highlander close on my back wheel. Then for some reason Centaur kicked it up and came by me but just fast enough that I could catch his wheel and kick it up a bit myself. A car slowly pulled by the two of us and I pulled into its draft and got by Centaur again and managed to pull away with Earth dog trailing me all the way to Central and then to Nuevo where I at least got away and headed for Lakeview. Centaur had re-acquired Earth Dog’s wheel and pulled the other two up to Lakeview were I was waiting for a regroup. As soon as we had told a few stories we were back on the road and headed north towards Ramona and the long run back to Hemet.
We made a quick stop at the market on Hansen before heading east on the Expressway towards Warren. Highlander pulled up and took the lead and pulled much of the way to Bridge before giving the lead back to me. I didn’t keep it long because it seemed as if 19 wasn’t fast enough for Earth Dog and he flew by taking us up to 22. I closed on his wheel and held it till Centaur took over and kicked it up again. I got the lead back just before Warren and took us south towards Cottonwood where first Highlander and then Centaur took over and pulled us to the light. We hadn’t slowed much below 20 all the way to Cottonwood and headed east. The ride towards Sanderson was a bit slower and I ended up pulling us to the CVS and around the back to Sanderson where Highlander once again pulled through and took us south. As we closed in on Esplanade things got strange. I was pulling to the light but when it changed Earth Dog took off heading for Fruitvale like a sprinter. No big thing I thought till Highlander went after him leaving me to pull Centaur after the two of them. Highlander jumped the next light and got almost a light ahead of us as I cranked it up to give chase. This was not a cruise by any measure and I was running at 8 percent all the way to Devonshire where we caught the light red and had to wait to head east towards Kirby again. Highlander pulled us to Kirby and then to Lyon where I slipped by and took us back to Florida and over to the parking lot. I got to the bike shop with a 17.4 average speed and we were almost an hour early getting back. I had a cold drink before heading home for lunch and a hot shower. It wasn’t a cruise but it was a productive ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment