Friday, September 2, 2016
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
Here is was a Friday and I had a easy flat ride planned to get as many out riding as I could. I even had decided to ride my Peugeot so no one would think I had a hammer fest planned. I was to learn later that such a move sometimes backfires and turns my good intentions against me.
I got to the bike shop to see Digger and Earth Dog and we were joined by Magic Man and Dragon Slayer. I knew Bugler was going to be there and thought I would see Highlander. I didn’t know that Barracuda and RCMP would be with us but I was glad to see them. By 8am we were on our way and I pulled the group out onto Lyon.
It wasn’t hard pulling the group west on Acacia and to the light at Kirby. I don’t know why but the single speed seems geared almost perfect for cruising in town where we have stop lights. If it has a flaw in gearing it is on the long flat runs east or west where I have to spin for all I am worth just to stay in sight of the group. But this early in the ride that wasn’t a problem. I got us down to Cypress and headed towards Johnston. It was easy to make it to the light at Johnston and Sanderson and we even caught the light green to start south. I followed Highlander towards Stetson but ended up in front at the light and took over the pull before we got to Wally World and headed for Mustang.
I planned on pulling to Domenigoni and then west towards the rise before giving up the lead and drafting the group to the saddle. Things worked well till I gave up the lead and Several of the rest of the group pulled by and kicked things up to about 22 mph. I have to spin about 110 or better to get to 22 or 23 and I wasn’t sure I could hold on all the way to the saddle at that pace. But as luck would have it Barracuda and RCMP paced me at 20 and led me to Warren and towards the dry wash crossing. After we dropped off of the rise at the dry wash we could see someone in the distance and we were slowly closing in on him. I didn’t know who it was nor did I realize the lead group had been joined by Ferret and had started spreading out their riders.
We caught up to Earth Dog right after Winchester and he fell in our draft till the trees where he pulled around and headed for Leon. Barracuda pulled us back to him before the saddle and I followed Barracuda and RCMP over the saddle and down to Lindenburger. We were stopped at the light and just as it turned green Earth Dog came rolling by at full boil heading for the gas station and our regroup.
Once we were ready to get back on the road Earth Dog had a flat. We waited till he got it fixed before heading back out onto Menifee before turning onto Newport and heading west. I stayed with the group this time before stopping at the gas station on Haun to see what had happened to Earth Dog. It turned out he had another flat and headed for home to check out the tire. The rest of us continued west and crossed over Murrieta and headed for the light where Barracuda, RCMP and Ferret left us heading for Elsinore. I led the group onto Normandy and then to LaLadera and the park for a short break before heading towards Honeyrun and then to McCall. I was able to stay woth the group all the way to McCall and followed then back to Murrieta and then Haun before crossing over the freeway and heading to the light by the Valero Station. Highlander took us to Encanto and then gave up the lead just before the last light starting the climb on Hospital Hill.
I couldn’t stay with the leaders to the top of the hill but I wasn’t far behi9nd as we dropped down the back side and regrouped just past Menifee. Earth Dog rejoined us at the regroup spot. I rode with the group to Briggs and then had everyone go on to Simpson while I waited for Digger.
Once Digger joined me we made our way onto Briggs and over to the dump road to head east and attempt to join the rest of the group at Winchester Farms. They were waiting when we pulled up and Digger and I got a short break before we had to head east on Stowe and head for home.
I lost the group after we turned onto California and didn’t regain contact till we got back to Sanderson. I somehow ended up on Sanderson between Earth Dog and Highlander but was soon run down by the rest of the group heading to Acacia. I caught them again at Acacia and made a try at a quick run up to Florida to see if I could beat the group to the bike shop. The left turn arrow gave me a head start but I got caught at Gilmore and just missed getting to the driveway before the rest of the group.
We stayed at the bike shop for a few minutes before I headed for home and had a protein drink before a hot shower and a short nap. It was one of our best days for a ride in over a month.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment