Wednesday, February 10, 2016

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) It was looking like another nice day and it would be the last day of the week that I could ride. I have an appointment on Friday and the group will have to get by without me till next Monday. I got dressed and headed for the Bike Shop to try and get in a good 40 mile workout with the group. As I got to the parking lot riders started to arrive and it looked like it might be a good group. Earth Dog and Dragon Slayer showed up as did Highlander and Tax Man. ME-109 showed up with his fixed gear with Minotaur and Bulldozer pulling up right after. The last ride to join us was Huntress and as soon as she was ready we headed out to Lyon and down to Acacia. I took as to Kirby and waited at the light till we could turn south towards the railroad tracks.
I wasn’t all that interested in leading this early in the ride so I was more than happy when Highlander and Tax Man pulled us onto Cypress and west towards Johnston. I fell back to talk with Huntress and we chatted till we turned onto Johnston and stopped at Sanderson. Minotaur and Highlander were the first to get to Stetson but they got the light red and I caught them on a roll and led us to the light just past Wally world where we were stopped once again. I was sitting back in the pack as we approached Mustang but I had enough gas in the tank to get out front and see the group behind me.
Highlander, Tax Man and Minotaur took us onto Domenigoni and headed us west. ME-109 was the first A rider to zip by followed By Bulldozer, Minotaur and Dragon Slayer. Earth Dog started pulling the B group and we were soon rolling along about 20 or 21 MPH. Once Highlander got the lead we were closing in on Warren and he had us up to closer to 23 or 24. Earth Dog got another chance as we dropped off of the Dry wash and even I took a short pull till Huntress came by and did a great job of keeping us going as we got close to Winchester. After Winchester Huntress dug deep and pulled us all hard all the way to the saddle and then held her pace as Earth Dog and I drafted her to the top and over. We ended up following her all the way to the gas station on Menifee where the rest of the group was waiting for us to regroup. We took a break and then headed south towards Holland and Revival hill. Highlander and Tax Man led most of the way to Holland before Minotaur started his run at the hill. I was packing Huntress and Dragon Slayer and Minotaur passed. I stayed with Huntress and Earth Dog till I felt I could attack the hill a bit and jumped right after ME-109 jumped past me to try and run down Minotaur. I did get by Dragon Slayer but didn’t catch Minotaur or ME-109. I waited at the top of the climb as Highlander and Tax Man rolled by and ended up having Huntress pull me all the way to Scott and then to Antelope before we caught up the Highlander, Earth Dog and Tax Man. We had to chase them once again as we crossed over the freeway and headed to Hawn. Huntress pulled me to their back wheel and we stayed with them till we got back to Holland where Dragon Slayer was waiting for us. We turned while Highlander and Tax Man went towards Newport. Dragon Slayer pulled us towards the Holland Hill and I noticed Minotaur and Bulldozer coming up from behind us. They had to back track after going straight at Holland themselves. I decided to attack this hill as well and did pretty well till just before the top where I burned my last match. We turned onto Murrieta and headed back for Newport to regroup once again at a gas station. We took a break as Highlander and Tax Man joined us and I was still eating when Highlander and Tax Man left. The rest of the group started to follow them and I was the last one out of the parking lot. I simply didn’t have any legs to catch them. As luck would have it Bulldozer, Earth Dog and Dragon Slayer were waiting for me at Cherry Hill and they stayed with me as we headed to McCall to start east.
We could just see Huntress as we got back to Bradley before crossing over the freeway. Minotaur was waiting at the Valero Station and joined us. Huntress was already on Hospital Hill as we past the last light before the climb. Earth Dog pulled away and went after her. Now my legs were fighting me and I simply didn’t have any energy to push. I geared down and expected the few riding with me to leave me but they didn’t and for one of the few times in my life I was giving a push to help me up the hill. I wondered if that was what and electric motor would feel like climbing the hill.
We made it over the hill and caught Huntress at Menifee before heading straight for Briggs. Dragon Slayer left us at Menifee. We had also added ME-109 just after Menifee. We turned back to Simpson and then made one last turn east towards Leon. I drafted one or the other of our little group all the way back to Winchester where Bulldozer, Minotaur and ME-109 left for Domenigoni. Huntress pulled me to Winchester Farms before heading for home when I stopped to join Earth Dog, Highlander and Tax Man. I had a banana and started to regain some of my energy as we finished off our water and energy drinks. It was then time to head for home and we all rode together till we got back to the Bike shop. I stopped in for a minute or two before heading for home and lunch. I was tired but I still felt good. It may take me longer than I thought to get back in form but I think I am getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment