Friday, November 7, 2014

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) Friday is almost always a surprise. It is like getting a package from a stranger and trying to figure out what is inside. Some Fridays are recovery rides and some are drag races. Today’s ride was a split one, they happen every now and then. I started out to ride to the parking in both arm and leg warmers but I shed the arm warmers before I got to the street. I then made my way to the parking lot and pulled up right behind Digger. We talked while Dragon Slayer and Tax Man arrived. Bloodhound rolled up just before Art and Bulldozer. Last but not least was Papillion even if he could only ride with us for an hour. (am and we were headed out to Latham and over to Lyon to head north and start our move towards Ramona Expressway.
Iw was about all I could do to get in front of the group to get a picture because Bulldozer was overjoyed about getting his TT bike back. He got out front early and laid down a very energetic pace. We broke into two groups almost immediately but we were recollected at Esplanade before starting another hard run to the stop sign on Ramona Boulevard. I stayed with them even as they began to grenade before the corner and Bulldozer backed it down till the faster guys were collected. I realized two riders were blown out the back so I stopped before Sanderson to pick them up expecting to regroup at Lakeview. I ended up pulling most of the way to Hansen except for the last mile or two where Tax Man got out front and pulled. He pulled all the way to Lakeview where we stopped to see if the other group was there. By the time Digger reached us we realized the other group wasn’t going to wait for us so I could back the pace down and take the smaller group over the rollers and down Rider to Evans where I waited to collect them before heading towards Nuevo.
Once out on Nuevo I got out front again and started the pull east. It was a bit like a slinky with either Tax Man or Digger falling back all the way to the bridge and then down to Menifee. Tax Man followed me to Menifee and stayed on my wheel all the way to Central as I pushed us towards the Nursery and the small hill there. Digger stayed on my wheel up the hill and Tax Man had to catch us as we rolled towards Mapes. I settled into a steady pace and took us to the AM/PM for water and a short break.
We soon found ourselves heading south and once again I did much of the pulling till we got to Simpson and started east. I had to stop and pump up my tire because a had a slow leak from a small Goathead and wanted to wait till we got to Winchester Farms before changing the tube. Both Digger and Tax Man took a turn at the front till we got to Leon where I took on more air to help me make it to Winchester. I was still rolling strong as we headed north towards Stowe and the parking lot at Winchester where I removed the wheel and got a large drink t help me while I changed the tube. We never did find the lead group so once the tube was replaced we finished our cold drinks and headed east on Stowe to head home.
We traded places in front all the way to Stowe and then all the way north on California before turning east again on Stetson. It took a while to get back to Warren Road and then to make it to Sanderson to ride up to Lowes and over to Acacia. I took us to Kirby and then rode with them to the parking lot before heading for home on Latham and finally to Palm t get back to my house. It was 45 easy miles on a beautiful day and I was greatful I didn’t live in the cold and snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment