Wednesday, November 5, 2014

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) When I looked outside this morning I could see it was going to be a great day for a group ride. I had one of our better eastern rides planned with some climbing and some sprinting and about 42 miles. I got dressed and had breakfast before heading to Burger King to meet with my friends. Digger was already getting coffee when I pulled up and Dragon Slayer was already unloading his bike. A few minutes later Bloodhound rode up followed by Highlander and Sasquatch. Quicksilver arrived after Gambler, Bulldozer and MacGyver while we waited to see if anyone else was going to show up. Huntress rode up and parked just as we noticed Papillion pulling into the parking lot. By 9am we were ready to leave and headed onto Gilmore and towards Acacia.
We were all happy to warm up slowly, except for Bloodhound, and made our way to Acacia and over to Kirby. Most of us waited one or two cars behind Bloodhound to make the turn on Kirby and nobody chased anyone as we headed for the railroad tracks and closed in on Cypress. We talked away catching up on our lives since the last time we were together as we cruised to Johnston and cut over to Sanderson to wait at the light for our turn towards Stetson. Bloodhound once again left us at the corner of Stetson and Sanderson so I started the pull towards the Airport.
I was still out front as we approached Warren and led us through the stop sign and towards California. I expected the A group would pass me and give chase to Bloodhound but they didn’t and everyone followed me to California while Bloodhound made a run for Stowe to try and escape towards Winchester.
MacGyver, Dragon Slayer and Gambler passed me after we rounded the corner and looked like they were going to run down Bloodhound. Highlander and Quicksilver shadowed me as I kept the pace at about 21 or 22 and let the other three go. I had to keep the pace steady because I expected Quicksilver to try and out sprint me to the parking lot. Finally Highlander fell off a bit and Quicksilver had to close the gap a bit so she had to burn a match or two and decided not to waste any more because of the climbs. We pulled into the parking lot and grabbed a quick morning snack before getting ready to head south on Winchester.
When it was time to head out again Bloodhound pulled us south towards the dump road and then over the railroad tracks heading for Domenigoni. I knew we hardly ever made the light green at Domenigoni so I could see no value in chasing him all the way to the light so I started to back off only to have the light turn green just as Bloodhound got there. I figured there was no way we would make the light but it stayed green till we all rolled through and headed east. Bloodhound started to pull away again just as Quicksilver asked me to keep a pace that would save her legs for the seven dollar climb and Ramona Bowl. As I backed down a bit Gambler, MacGyver, Bulldozer, Dragon Slayer and Papillion all rolled by and started to close on Bloodhound. With Gambler and Bulldozer making up the engine of that freight train I was pretty sure they would catch him. As for our group I pulled for quite a while till Quicksilver decided to take the lead. She gave it back to me after the dry wash and I pulled to warren. Huntress took a turn at the front almost to Sanderson and I only had to pull for a short distance till Sasquatch took over and pulled us to Searl and headed towards seven dollar hill. We all rounded the corner together and I tried hard to catch Dragon Slayer when I saw him after the big left hand turn and I got to the top just after he did. We had already seen the big dogs heading back down the hill. I waited at the top till the rest of my group got there.
Sasquatch was the closest to me and got to the top about a minute after I did. He was climbing strong and only suffered because of a lack of gear selection and friction shifters.
Not long after Sasquatch pulled up next to me Qucksilver made it to the top and she was looking like she enjoyed the climb. I know she likes hills but does she always have to smile as if they were fun and we weren’t suffering?
Huntress came cruising to the top next and like Quicksilver she made the climb look simple. I think they only complain about climbing to give me a false sense of security when they are behind me. If I ever show a sign of weakness they will attack me like a cat does a mouse.
Highlander was the next to get to the top and finally we had someone that showed the proper respect for a one mile climb to the top of a hill. Once Highlander made it to the top he simply started back down following the Bling Team so Sasquatch and I headed back down as well. We got almost back to the big sweeping turn only to see several riders coming back up doing hill repeats before a regroup at the bottom of the hill. Once everyone was back together we headed back out to Domenigoni and east to State Street.
Once on State we headed north towards Thornton and after the first half of the run we lined up behind Gambler and headed for the rise and a short sprint. I thought Sasquatch was going to make a jump around Gambler so I took off in a sprint only to get run down by Bulldozer before cresting the rise and turning on Chambers. We then headed for Buena Vista and then to Thornton before cutting over to Santa Fe and heading out onto Stetson. The fun little climb was yet to come. The A group was already headed for Girard and had made the turn before the Bling Team and I rounded the corner. Highlander decided to bypass the Ramona Bowl leaving me and the Bling team to chase the much faster A group up the hill. I managed to catch a trailing rider but the Bling team wasn’t able to hold my wheel so they had to fall in Behind Dragon Slayer and Sasquatch to get to the top of the bowl. Once at the gate on top Bulldozer had t leave for home and he dropped off of the hill and left us. Quicksilver was the next to start down but she was soon past by Bloodhound and most of the A group. The rest of us headed east towards Lake Street.
Once we got to lake we attempted to close with Sasquatch and Dragon Slayer as they headed to Fairview. Huntress pulled Quicksilver and I to within a few yards of those two before we stopped on Fairview and collected the remaining B group. The As had split up and headed for home while Highlander was long gone and Bloodhound had already gone down to Florida. By the time we were ready to go Huntress and Quicksilver started us north and Dragon slayer and I had to chase them to the bridge. We rolled through Mayberry and soft pedaled till everyone was back in line on Florida. I got us moving towards the trees but before we got there we found Bloodhound behind a caution sign, one of the big 4x4 diamond signs, with several cuts and scrapes on his left side. It seems as if the sign had taken him out. We rendered first aid and then rode up to Cranston before heading back down to Carl’s.
Only three of us stopped for coffee with Quicksilver, Dragon Slayer and Huntress heading for home. Digger, Sasquatch and I had coffee and talked for a few minutes before we headed back home as well. Sasquatch when east and digger and I headed west towards Park. Digger and I split at the Devonshire jog and I rode back home by myself to have lunch and run a few errands. No time for a nap today but with the late start time I really didn’t need one.

No comments:

Post a Comment