Monday, October 6, 2014
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
“Monday, Monday, can’t trust that day,” as the song says it all about this day. We had a predicted warm day but nothing as bad as we have had in the past. I had put together a simply easy ride and was looking forward to a rather kick back ride. When I was thinking simple and easy I didn’t realize it would also be one of our smaller rides.
I got to the parking lot to find Digger waiting and he told me he was thinking he had the wrong day. I was late and no one else had showed up. While we were talking Highlander arrived and that was it, just the three of us. We could set whatever pace we wanted. We left the parking lot and headed to Acacia before turning onto Kirby.
I figured I would do a lot of pulling today and I knew I didn’t have to push mush so in effect it could still be an easy day. I turned the corner onto Cypress with Highlander and Digger right next to me. We were in a pretty good mood as we made our way to Johnston. We spent a moment or two at the light on Sanderson before we were heading south past Wally world and towards Mustang and then Domenigoni.
As we headed east towards Searl I dropped onto my aero bars and settled into a comfortable 18 MPH with my heart rate just entering into the aerobic zone. I doubt if I was going to see much more than 130 beats a minute and I wasn’t interested in testing my theory. So I stayed steady as we past Searl and headed for State Street. We rounded the corner and headed for McSweeney and then Newport to get to the long left hander leading to Sage and Cactus Valley.
A pulled steadily past Sherpa’s old house and headed for the golf course. I stayed out front till we hit Sage and the little hill before I took off and crested the hill in front of the Missionary Baptist Church. It turned out not to be one of my best efforts on that segment but I was feeling strong and rested and thought I might make a run at the return to State Street. After a snack and some hydration we headed back west and I did make a run at the segment. It wasn’t a 100 percent effort but it felt good right up to the lace 40 yards before I turned onto State and headed back to McSweeney and a regroup before heading north on State to Chambers and then east on Stetson all the way to Fairview. Then it was up to Wilson Mesa before returning to Florida and down to Carl’s for coffee and conversation.
When we were back on our way e headed to Lincoln before going west to Park and the split where Highlander and I would take Devonshire and Digger would continue on to Menlo.
Highlander and I managed a smooth run west as we made it through the light on San Jacinto and turned on Santa Fe to get down to Latham. Then our luck stayed with us as we made it through the light at State making it a first that we caught both lights green on the same ride. I stayed with Highlander till we got to Palm where I headed for home to check on my wife and download my Garmin. Good ride and perfect weather
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment