Friday, April 25, 2014
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
Another free for all Friday and we were ready for a short simple ride. Besides we had a ride planned for Saturday and I thought I would give the riders a break. So we were going to do Soboba to Cranston. I had breakfast and got dressed before heading to meet Digger for coffee and see who would be riding.
It was a bit smaller group than I expected but it was a good one none the less. Daredevil brought a friend and Highlander arrived just about the same time as Bloodhound. Dragon Slayer, Rooster, Pony express and Sasquatch pulled up about the same time as well. While we waited for Huntress Barracuda Showed up so I knew we had a good group. Like most days Bloodhound had good intentions but as soon as we got ready to leave I knew we were going to be split into two groups.
We turned onto Lyon and headed for Menlo were Highlander made it through the stop sign and the rest of us didn’t. By extending the lead he simply caused Bloodhound to give chase followed by Daredevil and his friend. Soon Dragon slayer went after him as well and I joined him till we passed Esplanade and I looked back to see half of the group falling back. I slowed down and picked up Huntress, Pony repress, Rooster, Digger and Barracuda. The lead group was completely out of sight as we took the jog over to Ramona and headed towards State.
I took the lead and started the pull east wondering if Daredevil and his group were planning on stopping at Mickey Ds or if they were going to head for Cranston without stopping. Everyone seemed content with my pace as we headed towards State and at the stop sign about a block before the light on state we picked up Highlander waiting.
We caught the light at State red but soon were heading north and working our way to the Expressway and then towards the College with me still pulling.
It was time to put in an honest effort and hold a steady pace as we rolled by the College and zeroed in on the bridge leading to Soboba. As I took us around the corner I brought us to a stop to down my snack bar and some hydration. It was also a good time to shed some of the extra clothing we had on from the cool morning. As soon as we were all ready I led us out again and tried to keep the tempo steady as we headed for the rollers.
We held our pace pretty well and I was able to pull over the rollers to the driving range and finally the last little rise towards the end of the golf course where we would regroup. As we turned the corner and headed for the river crossing I was just in front of Huntress and decided to pick up speed a bit heading for the over pass. The thing about the Klein is it rides faster than if feels and soon I was pulling away going up the hill. It must be the difference in gearing that makes it seem like I am always at least one gear higher than on my Specialized.
As we headed down Ramona towards Cedar I managed to draft off of a big truck only to find myself spun out at 29 and realizing I was in the small ring. Barracuda and Pony express soon caught me and Huntress was far back. When we turned on Cedar Highlander left us and headed for home and we headed for Florida and the turn east to Cranston. Once there we only found Dragon Slayer and Sasquatch waiting because Bloodhound, Daredevil and Brian had left. It was then time to make a quick run back to Carl’s and Coffee. When we came back out I noticed that everyone was on a different brand of bicycle and a mix of carbon, Steel, Ti and Aluminum.
Finally it was time to head for home so we came back outside and headed for Lincoln on New Chicago. Pony express left us just as we turned on Lincoln. We then made our way past Lake and headed for Park. We turned left on Park and headed for the jog leading to Devonshire where Digger left us and we continued on towards San Jacento.
Barracuda was the next to leave and the rest of us rode with dragon Slayer till we got to Lyon and headed south while Dragon Slayer headed back to his car. Sasquatch left us at Acacia while Rooster and I rode to State together and I finally headed for home. I had to get in a quick shower before heading back out to get my hair cut. Get day for a ride.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment