Friday, April 11, 2014

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) It was free for all Friday and the predicted weather was about as nice as it could get. Warm and very little wind is the kind of riding weather I like the most. On Friday the A group is free to ride as they please and the B group can do the same. So I put on an old jersey and shorts before heading to Burger King for coffee. I got to the parking lot after Digger and Dragon Slayer. Just as Highlander drove up I headed in for coffee and when I came back out Pony Express was just getting there. Ferret, Sasquatch and Mark rode up and Newsboy drove in just before 9 am. Yes it was a light day number wise but we had a good group to start down Acacia, go to Kirby and head south.
Ferret was pushing the pace just a bit as we moved west on Cypress and I was talking to Highlander about whether I wanted to go play or just ride this Friday. I was thinking at first of just getting in a good ride and was still thinking about it as we caught the light at Sanderson and again at Stetson. I considered running with the big dogs if Ferret wanted to make a run out of Domenigoni but I also thought about Digger and Mark slowly warming up at the back of the pack.
By the time we got to Mustang Ferret and Dragon Slayer started off rather quickly and soon Newsboy, Pony express and Sasquatch were chasing them past the High School. I started to close on the back and had Highlander with me but soon noticed Digger and Mark were lagging off of the back. I thought about slowing down for them but had Highlander in tow so I headed west in a slow chase of the fleeing group on Ferret, Pony express, Dragon Slayer, Sasquatch and Newsboy. We joined them on the saddle for a regroup.
All we had to do next was drop off of the backside of the saddle and head for Carl’s were I expected Ferret and Dragon to leave us and cut the ride short. Ferret led us down to Menifee and then Highlander and Dragon Slayer took over and pulled us to Haun. Dragon Slayer got the lead and took us just past Bradley where I got the front and took us to Carl’s for a nature break.
We did not stay at Carl’s that long before Dragon Slayer and Ferret left and the rest of us headed for Murrieta and Railroad Canyon. I got us to Dailey drive when Newsboy rolled by asking if we had a climb coming. When I said yes he took off for Goetz and Mark went with him.
I kept the rest of the group together till we started the climb before I decided to try and give chase through the canyon. I just couldn’t catch a light green and never managed to close on the fleeing twosome. Finally I pulled up to them at the light just before the freeway and led them to Mickey D’s. Highlander and Digger headed back to Railroad Canyon first and the rest of us chased them. When we caught up to Digger I fell off of the train and was going to pull him but he said go ahead so I took Pony express and headed east to see if we could catch Highlander. We didn’t catch him but he was waiting at the real-estate driveway and we rode together to Murrieta where Newsboy was waiting.
Turns out Digger cut a tire back on Dailey so Highlander, Mark and I went back to help him while Newsboy and Sasquatch and Pony express headed for home. We got back to Digger and noticed a large slash in his tire. One boot wasn’t going to fix it so we had to add three boots and promise to slowly head for home to be sure to make it.
We cruised at Digger’s speed all the way back to the saddle and then over it to Winchester. We took turns pulling all the way to warren and the tire was still holding as we got to the turn on Sanderson. I got us to Lowes and over to Acacia as we headed to Kirby. Three of us headed straight to the Bike shop and Highlander joined us just before I headed for home. By the time I walked in my door I had 50 miles on the computer and a feeling of being on a good ride on a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment