By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
6/12/13
Today was set up to be a bit longer ride and one that many consider a favorite ride. We were headed for Lake Perris after going through Winchester and Menifee. I was also expecting a lot of morning overcast and some light winds. To my surprise when I looked out of my windows this morning it was clear and bright and would require sun screen at the very least on my nose and ears. I had breakfast, put on my kit and headed for coffee with Digger and Dura Max.
Starting at 8am may make it easier to get home by noon on a normal day but it also seemed we had to wait till the last minute for everyone to show up to start the ride. Surgeon and Highlander soon joined us followed a few minutes later by Gambler, Bulldozer and D’Artagnon. The last to arrive was Quicksilver and so we were ready to ride down Gilmore and head to Acacia.
We moved onto Acacia and over to Kirby in reverse order with the A group cruising in the back and the B group moving the pace in the front. We pulled up to the light on Kirby and finally turned towards the Railroad staying in the same order. Quicksilver pulled up next to me as we rounded the corner on Cypress and stayed there till we were out onto Johnston and at the light on Sanderson. Once we made the turn South I got us to Sanderson where Surgeon jumped to the front and pulled us towards Mustang.
Once we got to Domenigoni I figured the A group would pull away from the B group but they held back almost all the way to Warren road. Once they took the lead the true maturity of the two groups showed itself. The As took two of the Bs with them and so didn’t simply drop the hammer. The B group formed up and took turns cruising along and close to 21 in a pretty tight pace line. In fact the B group managed to reach the bottom of the Saddle just as the lead group stopped to regroup. We joined them about a minute later. After a short rest we dropped off of the back side of the saddle and headed for Lindenburger.
I dropped down the hill a little behind D’Artagnon and Gambler and followed them around the corner on Lindenburger. Gambler must have decided to try for a Segment on Lindenburger so he quickly left us and soon some of the others followed. I fell back t ride with Dura Max and we had to work to close on the group before they reached Simpson. But Dura Max persisted and we joined up with Quicksilver, Highlander and Digger just before catching the rest of the group at the Stop Light.
Once we were across the light Gambler and Surgeon took over the pull and took us up to Heritage and then through the housing tract towards McCall. As we came to McCall Gambler and D’Artagnon decided to roll by Bandit’s house and see if he was ready to join us. Bulldozer stayed with the rest of us as we cut over to Menifee and headed north again. We talked about Strava and other things as we moved towards the AM/PM and a break.
As we waited at the AM/PM Gambler sent me a text saying he had Bandit and two others. It seems he picked up Ted, Bandit’s father and a friend Neil. We suddenly were thirty three percent bigger as a group and both Ted and Neil were strong enough riders to help us along once we were back on Menifee and heading towards Nuevo. Gambler, D’Artagnon and Bulldozer hit it hard before we got to Mapes and faded into the distance before we crested the rise. Bandit stayed with his dad as we dropped down the hill to Central where I broke away and made a run for Nuevo and west towards Evans. I get managed to get to the breakaway group just before Bandit and his dad chased me down. We regrouped and headed for Evans and North together.
Once again Dura Max and I found ourselves chasing the group till they got caught at the light on Ryder and then we all made the ride to Ramona and finally the road to Lake Perris park together. The As took off and made a run at the Hill followed by Highlander and Surgeon. Ted and Neil took the rest of us to the check in gate and I stayed with Quicksilver, Digger and Dura Max. Quicksilver pushed me on the first part of the Hill till she had to shift and I got away to make it to the top just in front of her and Dura Max before taking the frontage road towards the Marina.
Quicksilver seemed pretty pleased with herself with her climb and was just as happy with the downhill heading to the Marina where we all regrouped for a nutrition break. We did some bench racing and got to know each other a bit better before getting ready to head for home. This would be Quicksilver’s first trip on the bike path around the lake and I was pretty sure she would be impressed. We all mounted up and headed for the east end of the lake.
Once again we split into two groups with the A group taking the majority of the riders with them, with Digger, Quicksilver, Dura Max and me following at a reasonable pace a bit behind. We made the big turn at the east end of the lake and headed slightly back towards the Dam. Quicksilver stayed with me all the way to the little hill sprint and then back through the steel bars and east to the top of the Bernasconi hill for one last regroup.
I knew this would be one of the last times we were all together because Bandit and his group would be leaving by the time they got to Lakeview and the A group would be pushing for home as soon as they got to Ramona. Once we were all out onto Ramona I tried to stay with Bulldozer and he headed for the bridge. I had just shifter into my 11 gear when we hit a bump and my chain tossed itself and wedged between the chainstay and cassette. The sudden stop of my spin shot pain from my foot all the way to my hip and if I hadn’t been able to coast to a stop and fix the problem I might have been hurt even more. The group I was with took pity on me and nursed me home all the way back to Sanderson and then Ramona Boulevard.
As we worked our way back to Lyon in a confusing wind I realized one of the things that makes our group special to me is how well we work together. Like I have said before we are more like a tribe and a bike club. We enjoy watching someone like Quicksilver improve even if it means one day she will be faster than many of us. We try and take care of those that aren’t firing on all cylinders or that are having trouble keeping up for any other reason. I was interrupted in my thoughts as I noticed one of our locals had a pen with American Buffalo in it before we headed into the wind and back to Burger King on Lyon.
We rode together till we got back to Menlo where Digger and Dura Max left us and Highlander decided to expend some of his excess energy and sprint down to Latham while Quicksilver and I took our time and cruised back to the parking lot before heading for home. I had Highlander give me a ride home to save my knee and was glad to sit down and have lunch before my shower. 50 miles was a good day and the weather was close to perfect. Yes I am glad to be part of this group.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment