Friday, November 2, 2012
11/02/2012
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
Here it was the end of another good week in Southern California and I thought we needed a casual ride to the Park at Lake Perris. It was going to be overcast and maybe even a bit cool but Ramona Expressway is always one of our better rides as long as it isn’t windy. I got my kit on and had breakfast and some coffee before heading out of the door. As I got ready to walk out I added a wind vest and started down the street. Once I got to Burger King it looked like it was going to be a small group made up of just Dura Max, Highlander, Digger, T-3 and me. At the last minute Gambler and D’Artagnon showed up and we headed out onto Latham and then to Lyon to get on the road.
As I talked to Highlander we commented how nice the ride north on Lyon always seemed. It might have been because it always takes place early in the ride or the fact that it was very flat. But whatever the case we always seem to cruise at a pretty good pace all the way to Seventh Street and then even pick it up as we get to Cottonwood. Today was no different and we had settled into a 20 MPH cruise as we got close to Ramona. But before we got to the turn Gambler and D’Artagnon decided the west end was just too cold so the broke off and headed east leaving just the original five of us to head towards Lake Perris by ourselves.
Once we turned towards Sanderson I knew we were going t have a good smooth ride and that we could set the pace at about 19 and keep all five of us together all the way to Lakeview. After we turn west at the Expressway light we settled into a simple pace line and headed for Warren Road. As we came up on some of the dairy farms I was reminded a bit about some of the history of our area. Many years ago before Orange County had grown so large there used to be a area called Dairy Land where several dairy ranches were located. As the area became more urban many of the old ranches moved out this way to the Nuevo, Hemet area. For the next few miles we were reminded of how well those ranchers were doing. In fact when we got to Lakeview stopped we saw some rural examples of the area.
Something told me I would get a chance to pull pretty much all the way to Burnisconi by the way everyone was willing to wait for me to start before we pulled back out onto the Expressway. As soon as we got everyone in line I more or less just put my head down and rolled us past the little bridge. It isn’t far after that bridge that the road tilts upwards and we have to climb up to the park entrance. As the road got steeper I kept the pace up and for a while Highlander and Digger stuck to my wheel. As I started to tire I looked back and everyone had dropped off so I down shifted and spun my way to Burnisconi where Highlander caught and passed me to lead us up the hill and towards the bike path around the lake.
We rode together around the east end of the lake and looked at all of the nature around us as we did so. We saw birds, hawks, squirrels, chipmunks, snakes and lizards, rabbits and I am sure we didn’t see a few Coyotes hiding in the brush. We continued on to the north side of the lake and worked our way to the Marina and a food and rest break.
After some coffee or soda we headed back towards the east end of the lake and around to the south east exit of the park.
Now came the long run east on Ramona and back towards home. I took the first pull and got us out onto the Expressway and down the hill to Lakeview and through the two lights. I gave up the lead when we got back to Bridge and Highlander took over till we got back to Warren Road. We started to let Digger lead but he picked up the pace too quickly as we lined up where the road narrows. We were like a slinky for a little while until I pulled around and got us back in line. I got us back to Sanderson and heading south. We decided to take Sanderson all the way to Devonshire but we lost Dura Max and T-3 when they turned on 7th.
By the time we got to Menlo Digger pulled off leaving Highlander ad I to stay on Sanderson all the way to Devonshire. Highlander pulled me back to Gilmore and then back to the van where we talked for a few minutes and headed for our respective homes for lunch and a shower. It was a good ride with good friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment