Wednesday, October 10, 2012

10/10/2012 By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) I got up feeling pretty good today. I was happy to see it hadn’t rained nor did it look like it would rain and there was very little wind. But it was cool and being the first cool day since the summer has started I knew I would need leg and arm warmers. I had breakfast, Oatmeal with Raisins and Almonds and some orange juice and got ready to get dressed for the day. This would be a bit of a test to see how well I had recovered from Saturday’s ride and the climbing involved in it. However there were going to be a few surprises for me today and I was totally in the dark about both. I got to the parking lot to see Centaur, Coyote and Dura Max already waiting for me. We were all pretty early but soon Digger and Huntress arrived. We were very impressed with her being so early. We all chatted easily as Highlander and Gambler arrived followed by Red Rabbit. It looked like that was going to be about it so we headed down Gilmore and picked up T-3 before turning on Acacia and then turning on Kirby.
We moved smoothly south to Cypress and turned west as we often do to cruise through the housing tract and make our way to Johnston. The Rabbit was looking energetic but I didn’t know how well he would do once we got to Domenigoni. Still he was around the corner onto Sanderson first and made it through the light at Stetson before Highlander, Digger and Centaur took over. We glided past Wally World and caught the light at Mustang. It was about there I got a text from The Shadow wishing me a happy birthday and saying he would see me at Hamby’s. I thought he just had the day wrong because I was heading west and wouldn’t be going to Hamby’s till Friday, or that was what I thought as we left the light.
We started out rather smoothly on Domenigoni and I pulled for about a quarter of a mile before giving it up to Coyote. Things went well as one after another dropped off and finally Gambler and Huntress were in the first two spots. Centaur and Coyote were both behind me and Digger was between me and the lead two. Gambler slowly twisted up the pace till soon Digger dropped off the pace and I had to close the gap to Catch Huntress. By then Coyote was on my wheel and we bridged the gap. To my surprise my legs were feeling pretty strong and then Huntress dropped off and I had to bridge the gap once more. As we closed on Leon I was feeling great until I looked at my Heart Rate monitor and saw I was closing in on Zone 5. It was time to shut down and follow as best as I could as Coyote and Gambler crested the saddle just as I got to the base of it. We regrouped and talked about the run while we waited for Rabbit.
I let everyone head for Carl’s while I waited for the Rabbit and then pulled him towards Antelope. I pulled us across the intersection and up over the Freeway overpass with Rabbit close on my back wheel. As we started down the far side of the overpass I could see two riders on the side of the road just past Hawn. As we got closer I could see it was Huntress and Coyote changing a flat. I told Rabbit to continue on and then stopped to watch Huntress change her tire. It took two tries because she had a defective tube but soon she had the second tube in and started to reseat the tire.
Once we were back on the road I followed Huntress and Coyote to Carl’s and we talked about taking Newport all the way to Goetz because they have finished the new bridge and I noticed that T-3 and Dura Max had already left. I told Rabbit to start first and the rest of us would follow so we wouldn’t drop him. For me the test would be the climb and how it would affect my sore legs. I took the lead till we got to the old road and stop sign and started us up the hill. Highlander was right behind me as we crested the first little rise before I started to get into a good pace. As he fell back a bit Gambler, Centaur and Coyote past me and started to pull away. Normally I would simply downshift and they would disappear but today I stayed in the big ring and stayed in sight of Coyote. My first surprise of the day was to set a personal record climbing Goetz with Huntress closing like a CHP pursuit car all the way to the top. I stopped at the top of Goetz for Digger and Rabbit while Huntress and Highlander headed down the other side. After the last two riders started down the back side of Goetz I dropped off the hill to regroup with everyone on Ethanic. Once we were all back on our way I pulled us back to Murrieta and headed for McCall and then towards Hospital Hill.
I had a good run at McCall but couldn’t catch Coyote or Gambler and Centaur. Once again everyone regrouped and dropped down the east side of McCall to start the run to Simpson and Chris’s, or so I thought. Centaur pulled us most of the way to Winchester before dropping the hammer for a sprint. I grabbed on the best as I could and made it to Winchester after expending 110 percent on way past red line. As I got ready to turn left I got my second surprise, they had changed the route and we were going to Hamby’s on the other side of town. As we worked our way to State Street I started to realize the group was up to something. When I got close to Florida and Yale the Shadow sent me a text saying he would be and Hamby’s waiting for us. By now it was clear; we were going to Hamby’s for my Birthday. I was surprised they were making such a big deal of it but also touched.
More people started to arrive and soon Huntress and Rabbit were there as was Highlander’s wife Randy and Huntress’s husband John. Dura Max and T-3 were there when I got there and D’Artagnon was there as well. I got a nice and funny card signed by everyone and some gifts that were very touching. And to top it off Huntress brought a birthday cake with candles and all.
After the obligatory singing of happy birthday in which the staff participates and all of the other customers look and stare to see where the small child is sitting we handed out birthday cake to everyone at the table. The cake was great and I was thinking of having seconds. But even with 52 miles under my belt seconds wouldn’t have been a good idea.
One of the things that impress me about this group is that we are more like a family or tribe than a club. We tend to be friends and for most there is a since of belonging and doing for each other or watching out for each other is almost second nature. I guess it is because we have more in common than just cycling, though that is what got us together, we like being around each other.
We sat and talked for a while with everyone having a chance to tell their story or a joke and tease someone as the cake slowly disappeared and the coffee or soda was refilled and re-emptied several times. But even when you are having fun things tend to wind down and the responsibilities of the day rear their head. So we finished what was on our plate and got ready to leave.
Slowly people started drifting towards the door and started putting their gloves and helmets on. Some had parked their cars at the restaurant and some still had to ride back to the west side of town to pick up their car or to ride home. I rode back with the latter group and stayed with them till we got to Palm and I headed for my house. But my day of good feelings wasn’t over just yet; I had brought home two slices of cooked bacon that I saved after discovering I had birthday cake coming. I was greeted by my own little fur person with great interest and even greater appreciation when I unrolled the napkin and shared my brunch with her. A good time was had by all as they say. “Surprises all around.”

No comments:

Post a Comment