Monday, October 8, 2012

10/08/2012 By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) When I got up this morning the first thing I noticed was my legs were still tight and maybe even a little sore. So I took a shower, had breakfast and did a little stretching before putting on my kit and airing up my tires before heading down to meet the rest of the group for what I had billed as a recovery ride. At least that was the plan. I got to Burger King to see Coyote, Digger and Dura Max talking by Coyote’s truck. Jerry drove up just before Surgeon arrived and we watched as Highlander and Tax Man unloaded the van. Red Rabbit finally arrived and we were about ready to go. All we had to do was head out to Gilmore and pick up T-3 on our way out towards Domenigoni. As we crossed Florida we saw her coming up the road and she made a turn to follow us back to Acacia. We headed over to Kirby and started south to get the show on the road.
We made it to Cypress and headed west only to have to pull over while Surgeon attempted an adjustment on his new seat post. Digger had a whole tool set in a bag that he let Surgeon use while we talked and waited. After a few minutes I guess Surgeon decided he wasn’t going to be able to fix the problem and decided to return to his car. So the rest of us headed to Johnston and Sanderson before heading south towards Domenigoni. Believe it or not we pulled into the left lane to turn east on Domenigoni just as the cars started moving and all but one of us made the light green.
As I led us towards State Street I think I should have had an IPod on playing the theme from Jaws. Highlander, Digger, Jerry and Coyote were looking at me like a swimmer trying to get to the buoy in the movie. I took us all the way to State Street and headed south past McSweeney and the stop sign before giving the lead to Highlander and falling to the back. Highlander kept the pace going all the way to Cactus Valley road where the group did a little slinky move and Jerry moved up to second behind Highlander. As we got to the hill at Sage Coyote stood and I followed him to the top of the climb with Jerry hot on my back wheel. I backed off a bit till Tax Man and Jerry caught up and watched as Coyote pulled away towards the end of the road. I waited till I could see Highlander closing on me before catching the group at the end of the road.
Once again I was asked about how I was feeling and once again Tax Man and Highlander indicated this would be a good day to push me and see how I held up. I could see Coyote was fully recovered from Saturday and Jerry was almost as fast on a short climb as ever so if people attacked I was in trouble. I had to start planning for the rest of the ride or fall prey to my friends the sharks. I decided to let Digger and Highlander start to chase of Jerry and Rabbit who left early to run back at State Street. Coyote decided to hang back with Dura Max and T-3 so I closed on Digger and Highlander planning on drafting them down the hill. Highlander allowed me past him and we attacked the run at State. We caught Rabbit after the turn north on state and caught Jerry before Newport and pulled into the housing tract at McSweeney. We regrouped when we came back on State and I decided not to attack the State Street mile.
After we cruised down State and turned on Chambers we worked our way out onto Stetson and headed for Columbia. Highlander took half of the group and stayed on Stetson and I took half and cruised down to Thornton and through the old houses to Lake Street. We came up over the little hill on Lake and rode over to Stetson to start east again to Fairview.
Now the planning began to sink in. I was with Jerry and Coyote so I could see how much they had left but I had no clue as to how rested Highlander and Tax Man were after taking the short cut to Wilson Mesa. I rounded the corner onto Fairview and headed south as Rabbit pulled up next to me and started teasing me about not pushing hard enough. Even Coyote started to pick it up as we headed for Wilson Mesa and he just beat me up the hill and I just beat Jerry. Now we had a run back to Florida and I knew that would be where the sharks attacked. Red Rabbit was well out in front in front of us as we came off of the hill. Coyote was holding back with Dura Max and T-3 and Digger got spooked by a car coming out of Bautista so I was left to close on Highlander and Tax Man who had taken up the chase of Rabbit. By Stetson I was on Highlander’s wheel and waiting for a break. I was perfectly happy as we closed on the sprint point just before the bridge when I looked back to see Coyote coming on like a killer whale about to devour a seal. It was early but I had to make a break for it or he would be on my wheel and I would never get rid of him. As I pulled out to make my sprint Highlander dropped in on me and stayed there almost to the bridge. Once past the bridge I caught Rabbit and pulled up a bit as we got to Mayberry where finally a laughing Coyote pulled up next to me with big smile on his face that reminded me for the entire world like a snarling predator. But we rode to Florida and then to Carl’s together for coffee and conversation. After about 20 minutes we were back on the road heading for home.
We rode west on Lincoln and past one street after another till we were past Lake and then Hemet Streets before coming to the stop sign on Park. We made the turn on Park as Highlander led us past the animal menagerie and back past Columbia and finally making the jog onto Devonshire to continue west towards Santa Fe.
The ride to this point after Carl’s was the closest thing to a recovery ride as I had been on all day. In fact as we turned onto Santa Fe and rode down to Latham my legs finally were feeling better. My next goal was simply to make it to Palm and turn for home.
As the rest of the group continued on the Burger King Digger and I rode down to the Ice House to watch them re-tarp the roof. After talking to the workers for a few minutes we headed our separate ways and I returned home to start lunch. It was a good ride and my friends the sharks only took small bits out of my legs

No comments:

Post a Comment