Friday, September 7, 2012
9/07/2012
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
It was another Friday and another chance for a great ride. Simplicity seemed to be a good choice so we agreed to ride west to Sun City and all that was left was to see who was going to show up. I had just had my bike serviced and was looking forward to trying it out. So I left the house and headed to Burger King a few minutes early and picked up a cup of coffee while Dura Max and Digger chatted.
After Dura Max left to pick up T-3 and Ruby Tuesday several other riders showed up from Barracuda to Sidewinder, Gambler, Highlander, The Red Rabbit, Surgeon and D’Artagnon. Once the last rider arrived we headed down Gilmore and worked our way to Kirby and south.
We talked a lot as we turned on Cypress and rode through the housing tract to Johnston and caught the light like normal at Sanderson. We sat behind a long line of cars and Rabbit past them all on the right and made the turn one whole cycle before we could give chase. He did wait for us a little past Mustang and we all turned on Domenigoni for the run at the Saddle. We were in a good pace line running about 20 or 21 when the Rabbit got spit off of the back. He was falling back rather quickly so I had Digger catch Highlanders back wheel and I dropped back to get him. As long as he was in the draft he could hold about 19 and it took all the way to Kirby before I brought him up to Digger who had lost the draft at the light. We made it to the saddle together to regroup with everyone else.
Rabbit left for Menifee first and was well on his way as we dropped down the back side and headed for Lindenburger. Highlander was right behind me as we coasted down the hill and slid past the light just as Sidewinder took off after Rabbit. The rest of the group must have been caught at the light because they were way behind us as we closed in on Menifee. We caught Rabbit just before the light and made the turn just as the rest of the group caught us. Rabbit told me he was going to break off at Scott as we headed for the hill past Holland and towards Scott.
I pulled us to Scott and headed us to Antelope when Sidewinder rolled by me heading for the light. We managed to get to Antelope just as the light turned green and headed over the freeway but had to slow because a car decided to pull over to make it hard to pass one of the drain gratings right at the top. Sidewinder headed for Haun first but before the rest of us could get there D’Artagnon flatted. We were going to try to get around the corner but D’Artagnon couldn’t make it so Digger, Surgeon, Highlander and I turned on Haun and stopped. We knew that once D’Artagnon, Gambler and Barracuda got back on the way they would scorch Haun all the way to Newport so we took off early and picked up Sidewinder along the way.
True to my expectations the fast A group caught us at Holland but they slowed t ride with us. Surgeon and Sidewinder were well ahead of Highlander, Digger and I as we rolled past Holland and once the A were with us we caught them about two lights before Newport. It was an easy cruise to Newport and a turn west. We didn’t stop at the gas station this time and Barracuda headed us towards Bradley. Highlander said he was a bit tired but you wouldn’t know it by the way he was drafting Barracuda. At last he decided to save some energy and backed off a bit just as the A group reformed at the front on Bradley and increase the pace.
I kept it steady and for a change Highlander decided not to give chase so we managed to make it to McCall still pretty rested and began the run at Hospital Hill. We crossed the freeway again and I took us past the Valero station and past Antelope. Surgeon took over at Highpoint and kicked it up a notch. I followed him till the false crest and looked back to see Highlander and Digger trailing about 150 yards back. We regrouped at the top of the hill only to discover we had past the A group at the Valero and they pulled up behind us. Once we were all back together we dropped down McCall hill and headed to Heritage for the ride back to Chris’s.
I was feeling a bit stronger as we got back to Simpson and decided to start the pull to Leon. I was holding my own till we were past the stop sign at Briggs and after about 100 yards a Bee hit my helmet and bounced down onto my glasses. The worst part was it decided to fly under my glasses and after being stung last month I panicked and jumped out of line and jerked off my glasses. However my quick panic action freed the Bee before it had a chance to impale me with its stinger and I fell to the back of the line. Digger and I rode at the back of the pack for a while with I recovered and let the adrenalin slip away. Highlander waited for me and we rode together past Leon and onto
Winchester to hook up with the rest of the group.
We really didn’t stay that long drinking coffee but we did see Rabbit again having breakfast at a table inside Chris’s. I charger Sidewinder’s phone for about 15 minutes so we could be sure he had enough to record his Strava ride back to the car. As soon as everyone was ready we headed back out onto Winchester and north to start home. It felt pretty good to be on the new pavement on Winchester but that would give way to traditional pavement once we were on Stowe.
For all practical purposes the ride was winding down as we got back to California and moved over to Stetson where Sidewinder pulled away. I took us to Warren where Surgeon left us and Sidewinder was almost to the Airport road. Once we got to the Airport road Barracuda, Highlander and Sidewinder headed for Burger King while Digger, Gambler, D’Artgnon and I continued on to Sanderson where we split again and Digger and stayed together to Johnston and Palm. We started north and split once more as I headed for home and Digger stayed north on Palm. I got home tired but pleased with how the ride went today. Now to rest my legs till Monday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment