Monday, August 13, 2012
8/13/2012
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
Summer time is usually when we get our larger groups. But that isn’t the case during a heat wave. The last three rides have been in the triple digit area and the next few days aren’t supposed to be much of an improvement. We have learned a lot more about riding in the heat living where we do but still fewer people venture out. As I left for the parking lot this morning I wondered just how many would brave the heat and make the ride. We pulled out of the parking lot seven strong heading for Acacia.
We have discovered the key to riding in hot weather is hydration and pace control. It is OK to push a bit early on because it may be cooler but any effort wasted early will be missed later when there isn’t as much energy left to draw on. So we conserved a bit till we got to the light at Kirby and headed south to Cypress and through the housing tract to Johnston and Sanderson. We worked our way north to Wentworth and then past the Airport and out onto Stetson and I took us to Warren before giving up the lead to Highlander and Surgeon. I fell to the back of the line behind Tax Man and Dura Max. We rounder the corner onto California and Gambler took over and started to pick up the pace to Stowe. He dropped the hammer on Stowe and I foolishly gave chase. I caught his wheel and held on till we got about ¼ mile from Winchester before I decided I needed to save something for later. We regrouped at Winchester.
I pulled out onto Winchester and took us to the Dump road and then fell back as Goliath took over and started us towards Leon. As we got to the rise after the Western Arena I started towards the front but that caused the line to break and when I backed off the group split into four and three. We didn’t regroup till we got to the housing tract on Briggs and then worked our way north to the stop sign past Florida and then back to McCall. Once over the hill at McCall we dropped down to Bradley and then up to Newport and back to Antelope and Jack in the Box.
Once we were back on our way east Highlander led us back to the Saddle where we broke up again with Gambler, Goliath, Surgeon and Tax man pulling away while Highlander, Dura Max and I followed and watched them get smaller in the distance. We did catch Tax Man at Winchester and then fell in line as a group back to Warren Road.
By now it was over 100 radiating off of the pavement and I was reminded of the time a got a case of heat exhaustion in just the same conditions. This time I was real careful to hydrate as I rode rather than try to replenish all at once when I felt thirsty. It seemed to be working and I had enough left to pull us back to Sanderson where Dura Max left us to head for State Street and home. I turned on Sanderson with Tax Man and Highlander and stayed with them as we past Mustang.
We separated when I got to Johnston and I turned east as they continued back to the parking lot. I was still rolling along about 16 as I got back to Kirby and then Lyon on my way east. One block after another slipped by as I finished off another bottle of water and finally past Palm and then made the turn towards home and a cool showed and lunch. 37 miles on a day that broke 104.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment