By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
A new day and a new ride what could be better than that? I wanted something that would get us ready for the Hemet Century and so a ride with some Hemet and Paris Century tossed together sounded like a perfect solution. 50 miles with some flat speed work and a bit of climbing would make a good representation of the Century we will be doing on the 14th. I headed out to the meeting place with a positive attitude and a hope we would had a good sized group.
Coyote, Centaur and Blood Hound were already there and Highlander was just pulling up as I got there. A friend of Highlander’s, Paul showed up as well as did Spartacus. Rocket was next to arriving followed by Pam. We got a chance to visit with Surgeon while we waited for Huntress so we could get started. 10 people this early in the year isn’t bad. We headed for Latham to begin the ride.

Once heading north on Lyon we started chatting away and getting caught up on what has been going on in everyone’s life since we last rode together. Highlander was looking pretty fit and energetic so I was thinking it might pretty fast day. The weather was almost perfect and at this point there was little or no wind. The group let me pull all the way down Lyon so I also had to worry about running out of gas.

Turning onto Ramona and heading towards Sanderson I still was in the lead and the pace picked up just a bit. I didn’t know things would hold up once Rocket and Blood Hound took the lead and Centaur is always an unknown when it comes to long pace lines. Still today I felt like I could hold on and the only questions I had were about others not I. Yes I was feeling that good.

Once out onto the Expressway Blood Hound got out front followed by Rocket and slowly but surely the pace picked up. We stayed in a tight formation up to about 22 but the rope got pulled pretty after Rocket took the lead. At 24 I looked up and heard Highlander telling me we were dropping some riders. I broke off from the lead two and dropped it back to 20 or 21 when Huntress and Centaur pulled around to give chase. Rocket pulled up at Bridge Street and Huntress, Blood Hound and Centaur continued on while the rest of us stopped to say good-by. We all regrouped at Lakeview and then attacked the rollers. Centaur zipped by followed by Blood Hound and I had to chase down Huntress and Highlander at Barisconi. Coyote pulled back to Ride with Pam and Spartacus. I caught a second wind as we headed for the second roller and Huntress attached herself to my back wheel like a trailer. After cresting the hill we regrouped at the Park entrance and waited while the back group changed a flat. Next stop would be Paris Boulevard.

The ride south on Paris Boulevard is part of the Paris Century and the route passes by the start finish and the first SAG stop. I have found it is a pretty easy section of the ride and a good chance to spin and rest your legs for the climb on the back side of Goetz. Spartacus had already headed for home and Highlander let me know as we got close to Ethanic and got ready for the climb. Still we were only down two and Centaur promised to regroup at the top of the climb.

Once over the hill it was a great ride chasing Huntress back down towards Newport. If there is one thing she enjoys more than passing me it is passing me on a long downhill run. Today was no exception and she kicked it into overdrive till we came to the turn that would take us to the park at LaLadera. The plan was to ride over to Murrieta but once at the park we took the short cut past the owl sanctuary and over to McCall. From there it was a quick trip over the hill and out onto Simpson where Centaur took us to Winchester and then to Chris’s for coffee. About 20 minutes later we headed for home up Winchester and east on Stowe.

We started to get back in a pace line and once again picked up up heading towards California Street. We didn’t get more than half way when it sounded like someone took a shot at us. It wasn’t a shot but it was a small blowout on Centaurs rear wheel. We pulled over while he gave us a clinic or quick tire repair but with a large bump where the boot was placed so we decided to slow it down a bit on the way home. It didn’t stop the dogs from running at us as we past the big green field but a few loud shouts kept them from coming out onto the road where we were so we made it to California and then down to Stetson.

I pulled us back to Warren and then to the frontage road in front of the airport. We hadn’t lost any more riders and everyone seemed refreshed by our short coffee break. We made the final turns towards Sanderson and caught the light. Blood Headed for home while the rest of us turned north towards Lowes and home. Highlander came from behind and past the group like a Race horse and got to Lowes before any of us. He was on a run for home and spending his remaining energy to get there first. Only Coyote decided to give chase.

Paul and I were the next to get out onto Acacia to see Coyote closing on Highlander but we caught them at the light. As it changed he sprinted off towards Gilmore and made the final turn 50 yards in front of me. Coyote was with him but they both caught the light at Florida and I was rolling at full speed as it changed to green and managed to get to the parking lot first. Too bad Coyote has the trophy for the month. Today I was a winner. We talked for a few minutes and I ended up riding back to Palm with Huntress and Paul. I got home with 54 miles on the computer. Not bad for an early spring day. But the best part is being on a bike with friends no matter how perfect the day is.

No comments:
Post a Comment