Friday, April 27, 2012

4/27/2012 By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) It was still very overcast as I looked outside this morning but I expected it to clear up a bit as the day went on. I had slept well and felt rested after the ride we had Friday and was looking forward to a nice cruise to Lake Paris today. I got to Burger King first but I was soon joined by Ocelot and Dura Max. We were talking as Highlander pulled into the parking lot and Surgeon drove up as well. Snow Goose and Gambler were the next to arrive and that looked like that would be all that were riding today. But by 8:30 Dura Max, Ocelot and Snow Goose went one way while Gambler, Surgeon, Highlander and I went over to Lyon to head north.
I was thinking we might just take an easy cruise up to Ramona and head out the Expressway to Lake Paris but everyone seemed to want to stay in close formation and not back down much. Every time I tried to back it down either Highlander or Surgeon would take the lead and pick the pace back up. It worked that way all the way to Sanderson and finally onto the Expressway. I took over for Highlander after the turn and pulled us to Warren and Gambler pulled us first to Lakeview and then to the back gate at Lake Paris. We regrouped at the top of the hill before the bike trail and headed for the park.
We had been hammering it all the way down Ramona Expressway and we had a 18 MPH average at Lakeview. I was thinking we would take it down a notch as we turned onto the bike path and headed for the east end of Lake Paris. But it soon picked up again and we were setting a pace faster than I did in the Paris century last year. I finally took my turn and pulled us to the north end of the lake and to the Marina where we took a break and told stories while looking over the lake and rehydrating.
By the time we were ready to leave the sky had cleared quite a bit and I took us back out the same what we had come in. We started out pretty easily and dodged quite a few well fed squirrels heading back towards the east end of the lake. There were a few runners and a cyclist or two coming in our direction but we were pretty much all by ourselves heading out bound.
Highlander pulled up next to me and mentioned that a Strava TT segment was coming up but I didn’t pay much attention till Gambler flashed by me picking up the rest of the group with him. I had to sprint to catch the back of the pack and hang on for dear life as we headed back towards the South side of the lake and the back gate. As we got to the south side Gambler started to ride away from us and I tried to give chase. I closed for a brief moment just before the hill at the exit but couldn’t keep it up and he waited for us at the top of the hill. I rolled down the hill to Ramona and managed to hit the road when it was clear of cars and headed for Lakeview like my shirt was on fire. We regroup one last time at the traffic light and store. Once more Gator aid was procured we were on our way and set a blistering pace line all the way back to Sanderson. After making the turn at Sanderson and then back onto Ramona Road we got in line again and headed for Lyon.
Gambler stayed with us and pulled back to Cottonwood and I took over and pulled us back to Latham. Gambler left us at Latham and three of us made it back to the Pep Boys driveway a few minutes later. When we were talking by the cars my computer was reading 17.8 MPH and it was one of the fastest rides I have had to Lake Paris and back. I lost a few tenths on the way home and when I did get home my legs knew I had just done a fast 44 miles. Good day, good ride, good friends what more do you need?

No comments:

Post a Comment