Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Late cold Monday report

3/19/2012

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)


It rained all weekend and I wasn’t at all sure we would be riding Monday. The rain didn’t stop till about 11pm Sunday night but right on its heels a cold front arrived. I got up Monday morning and looked out to what could be described as a California winter morning. Crisp, cold and just a bit overcast but at least it was dry. I got to the parking lot and was greeted by Wolf looking for all-the-world like a swat team member. I was almost jealous because I had considered wearing my Balaclava but thought I wouldn’t need it. I should have gone with my first thought because it was cold enough for something to cover my mouth and nose. By 8:30 it was only Dura Max, Wolf and I. But we headed down Gilmore to Acacia and over to Kirby to head south.


Even though we were up for a ride we weren’t thinking of anything long or difficult so we were headed for Cactus Valley and then east to Fairview and Carl’s in Val Vista. All we had to do was make it up to Cypress and over to Johnston and we would be on our way for a little jaunt. It wasn’t getting any warmer but the effort was at least making us feel warmer, except for exposed skin. We turned south on Sanderson and made it through the light on Stetson and past Wally World.

Wolf started to take over the lead and we followed him past Mustang and the high school before catching the light at Domenigoni. Once we were headed back east Wolf got out front again and pulled all the way to State till we once again were headed south towards Cactus Valley. I took over the pull till we got to McSweeney and Dura Max took over for me after that.

At the hill before we turned towards Sage the cold started to hit Dura Max and Wolf once again took the lead and pulled us to the golf course where we stopped to warm up a bit before I pulled us to the beginning of Cactus valley and the little climb. Wolf past me as we topped the hill and Dura Max pulled up next to us a few moments later. We chatted a bit as we all rode to the end of the pavement and got ready to head back.

We started back towards Sage and I got out front for a bit till we started down the hill. I got a bit of a lead but by the first horse ranch Wolf and Dura Max were on my back wheel. We stayed that way all the way back to McSweeney. We cruised through the housing tract and came back out onto State and headed North towards Chambers and the zig-zag to Thornton and Santa Fe.

I took my turn again out on Stetson and pulled to Columbia and then to Crest, Wolf and Dura Max pulled to Lake and soon we were back on Stetson heading towards Fairview. I kicked it up a notch to get my average speed up to Fairview and we regrouped before heading back down to Florida and Carl’s for coffee and conversation. We were glad to get in out of the cold because even the slight breeze coming down from Idyllwild was cold. But it at least started to clear up as we left and headed for home.

Dura Max left us at Park and Wolf and I motored on back to Devonshire at a pretty constant 16 or 17 before heading straight west to Santa Fe and the turn down to Latham. Once again we were heading west past the police station and finally past State Street. I stayed with Wolf all the way to Lyon before heading for home. I only had 33 miles but I needed that hot shower to thaw out. Still a cold ride is better than no ride at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment