By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
The day started out looking pretty good. It was clear and it was supposed to warm up with no wind. My hope was to get is a ride with a bit of everything for everyone. I wanted some climbing, some speed work, and some extra distance. I left the house feeling pretty confident and healthy. The day started out great but little did I know it wouldn’t end that way. Wolf and I wondered if anyone was going to show up but by 8:35 we had Cossack, Huntress, Torpedo, and Gambler join us.

We made it down Gilmore and onto Acacia heading towards Kirby to get things started. I talked with Cossack a bit as we headed towards Cypress go get ready to head over to Johnston and the light at Sanderson. I was feeling stronger than I had in a long time and looked forward to the run up Sanderson past Stetson. I felt I could do pretty well once we got to Domenigoni. As we past Wally World I was warming up well.

It didn’t take long before we were riding past Mustang and the high school to turn west towards the saddle. We took turns pulling all the way to Warren and I pulled over the hill at the dry wash before giving the lead to Huntress and she took us most of the way to Winchester where Torpedo, Cossack and Gambler pulled away. Wolf, Huntress and I stayed together all the way to the saddle and I pulled her over the top and gave the lead back as we started back down the back side. Wolf caught us by Menifee and we rode together all the way to Carl’s for a regroup. We left there and worked our way to Goetz and made a great run over the hill and down to Paris before working our way to Nuevo and heading back east.

Once again Cossack, Torpedo and Gambler pulled away from us and Wolf, Huntress and I followed as best as we could all the way to Menifee. We had the lead group in sight most of the way to Mapes. We lost sight of them at the last rise before Mapes and we turned towards Briggs and the turn south. The lead group was nowhere to be seen as we got close to the school so we pressed on as best as we could to see if we could catch up.We made it past Heritage High and turned through the housing tract before coming back out onto Briggs and I pulled till we got to the dump road where Huntress took over to pull us to Winchester and Chris’s. Somehow we got there just before Torpedo and Gambler but we all took the time to have coffee and talk for a while. Blood Hound showed up and joined us. Wolf headed for home while the rest of us headed back to Stowe and turned for California.

It was a pretty quick run back to California even if we were chased by dogs again. Shouting seemed to work and we followed Torpedo and Blood hound to California and then to Stetson. Blood Hound and Torpedo made it to Warren before the rest of us and only Huntress and I rode together all the way past the airport and back to Burger King. Torpedo joined us and I headed for home. I decided to turn down Whittier because it has a bike lane and I was still rolling along at about 18 when a car pulled into the bike lane and stopped right in front of me. I never had a chance to hit the brakes and ended up slamming into the car’s back bumper and flying into he back window head first. The Lapierre is history, my hand is sore, and I am not sure I can ride Friday. At least if the swelling in my hand goes down I can try the Klein. But I don’t know if I feel safe in a bike lane anymore.


No comments:
Post a Comment