Monday, February 27, 2012

2/27/2012

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)



I wasn’t sure we were even going to get a ride in today so I tried to plan one that was more or less protected from the weather and had several break off points in case we had to make a quick run for home. When I got up it was cold and overcast and I didn’t know if the rain would hold off or not. When I got to the parking lot only wolf was there sitting in his truck staying warm. By 8:30 am there were only three of us set for the longer ride and four for the shorter one. Al decided to switch side and join Wolf, Chinook and I leaving Traveler, Rick and Raptor for the other ride. We took off down Gilmore and then turned on Acacia to Kirby to begin our ride west towards Winchester.


We worked our way through the housing tract on Cypress and out to Sanderson before making the jog past the airport to come out on Stetson and head towards California. From the first turn of the pedals it was cold and windy and the ride down Stetson wasn’t much fun. When we made it to California I tried to pull into the wind and it was even less fun making our way to Stowe. After making the turn towards Winchester Al pulled up front and started us west again with a cross wind that had a bite. About a third of the way down Stowe two large dogs came running off their property and decided to give chase, almost causing Chinook to hit them. But we all escaped unharmed and stopped at Winchester to debate the rest of the ride.

I wanted to cut the ride short and head directly to Domenigoni and back east so I persuaded everyone to loin me. I pulled out onto Winchester and pulled directly into the wind all the way past Simpson and then to the light at Domenigoni. After making the turn Wolf took the lead and started us at a much faster pace east. We didn’t get far before we noticed Raptor, Traveler and Rick heading the other way. We stopped to see if they were going to turn around and join us but they went straight past Winchester so we continued on towards Warren. Al took over pulling and we were cruising along till we past Sanderson and my heart rate started up so I back off a bit and they had to wait for me at Searl before we continued on to State. I recovered enough to pull to Chambers and then Thornton with Wolf following along being the character we have all come to expect him to be.

As long as we were running east the wind didn’t bother us too much but it wasn’t getting any warmer and I for one was looking forward to making it to Fairview and down to Florida and over to Carl’s for some hot coffee and an energy bar. By the time we got to Fairview I got the horse heading for the barn syndrome and we quickly made it past Mayberry and to the light at Florida. The light take the longest time of just about any light we have to wait for but soon we were on our way again and Wolf took the lead to Carl’s where we stopped to get warm before heading home. It was no warmer heading home as we rode down Lincoln to Park and felt the wind shift again. At least on Devonshire we had some downhill to offset the wind.

We worked our way west almost as if we were rushing to get in out of the cold and wind. It took us a little while to pass San Jacinto and Santa Fe. We cut down to Latham and headed towards State Street. We rode past Buena Vista and the Police Station and the Library before catching the light at State Street. No we were on the home stretch and Al and I planned on turning on Palm and letting Wolf and Chinook make their way back by themselves.

Al and I broke off at Palm and headed back down to Florida. We stayed together with the headwind now hitting us right in the face till we got back to Mayberry and Al headed for home while I continued on to Whittier and home. I got back home with a little fewer miles than I had planned but with a great desire for a hot shower. Maybe we will have better luck Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment