Wednesday, February 15, 2012

2/15/2012
TDPS
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)


We just barely dodged a bullet as they say Monday when we beat the rain by about an hour and a half. Today we were going to have to play roulette again because the weatherman said we had a good chance of getting rain by noon. When I got up and looked outside it was very overcast and cold. It even had the smell of rain, that wet dirt and ozone smell. Still I got dressed, had breakfast and headed out of the door to see just who was interested in a short ride. When I pulled into the parking lot Wolf was sitting in his truck staying warm and Chinook was just pulling up so I knew we had at least three riders. By 8:30 we had three regular group members and six Canadians counting Chinook. When headed out of the parking lot Chinook, Rein and Al joined Highlander, Wolf and I as we headed north on Lyon in a cool breeze. We picked up Dura Max on the way and headed for Ramona.


We took turns pulling past Menlo and then Esplanade with little or no traffic and then took a quick jog through the housing tract before coming out on Ramona and heading east. Wolf got out in front and pulled us all the way to State Street where we caught the light and let everyone catch up waiting to make the left to go north towards the College. We were lucky because we managed to trip the light and make the left on an arrow. Highlander started the pull and took us all the way to the Expressway.

I pulled to just past the College and then once again Wolf and Rein pulled to Soboba. Once we made the turn towards the Reservation we started to spread out a bit and I decided to push it up a bit on the second roller. My goal was to see how quickly my heart rate went back to normal after a good effort and was pleased that is seemed to be easing quickly. After cresting the roller Chinook and Al ran me down and I waited till Highlander caught me as well and soft pedaled till they all pulled away towards the golf course. It didn’t take long before we all regrouped by the big tree and got ready to push on towards the Ranger Station.

We started again and I followed Highlander all the way to Main where we headed for the river crossing overpass. Highlander dropped the hammer at the bottom of the hill but I was right on his back wheel and managed to catch him and hold off the ever charging Canadians. Chinook pull even with me at the top of the hill and we all turned on Washington/Ramona heading east. Dura Max and I dropped back as we turned onto Cedar but we went through the light at Florida with the rest of the group. We didn’t try to stay with them and finally regrouped with everyone at the Ranger station for a brief break.

It wasn’t getting any warmer and there are no restrooms at the Station so we headed back towards Carl’s for a snack and some conversation. Highlander had been riding very strong lately and leaving the parking lot was no different from the last three rides. I decided to close with him and before I knew it he was pulling away from the rest of the group at about 22 MPH. Highlander jumped into a full sprint just before we entered the trees. I stayed with him and we managed to stay out in front most of the way to the first gas station where we were joined by Chinook and Al. We formed a pace line and Fairview and into the parking lot at Carl’s. Wolf didn’t stop but the rest of us did and got warm while waiting for Traveler and another Canadian to join us from the C group. Chinook was going to wait and have coffee with Traveler and Rick but it started to rain so he decided to head for home with Highlander and me.

Highlander must have thought he would melt because he took off like he was racing in the TDF and was more than two blocks ahead of us then Dura Max turned for home. Chinook and I didn’t catch him till we got to Santa Fe. I stayed with Highlander and Chinook till we got back to Lyon and then stopped by BSC to check on some bar tape. By the time I got back out Highlander had pulled into the parking lot and we talked for a few minutes before I headed for home. As I rounded the last corner on my street it started to sprinkle. I only had 32 miles on the computer but from the time I got home till well after dark it poured. I made it again, if only by inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment