Monday, October 17, 2011

10/17/2011
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)

What a perfect day for a bike ride today was. Cool in the morning and warming towards noon. Clear blue skies and no wind, I don’t know what more someone could ask for. That was just what I was thinking and I pulled into the parking lot to meet up with our weekday cycling group. It seems as if everyone felt the same way because everyone was all smiles as they arrived and got ready for a quick and easy Bridge Street to Soboba ride.


We didn’t waste any time riding down Latham to Lyon and the ride north on Lyon seemed easier than normal as we headed for Ramona. It felt good to be out on my bicycle and for the first time in a week my chest didn’t feel like it had a knot in it and I wasn’t fighting nausea. My legs were moving reasonable well even if I wasn’t spinning as well as I like so all in all it felt like a good day to be on a bike.

No one seemed to be complaining so we held a steady pace of about 18 as we crossed one street after another on a very light traffic day. Seventh Street and Cottonwood soon slipped behind us as we closed in on the turn that would take us to Sanderson. The group tightened up a bit in anticipation of the run down Ramona to Bridge.

Team 4 Seasons had three riders today. Highlander, Vortex and Piranha, and Tax Man plus we had two of the Musketeers in Rocket and D’Artagnon. Sea Lion, Dura Max, Ocelot, Blood Hound, Surgeon and I rounded out the group as we turned off of Sanderson and headed west on the expressway. The group picked up the pace all the way to Bridge and it was all I could do to just hand on. Once on Bridge it didn’t get any easier and only by catching a wheel off of D’Artagnon was I able to catch the leaders. Before we made the big right hand turn towards Gilman Vortex flatted so we got to take a break.

After we got going again D’Artagnon dropped the hammer and Rocket, Blood Hound and I went after him. The gap between us and the main group was growing even as I questioned my wisdom for even holding on to the pace they were setting. When we got about 150 yards before Gilman I dropped back realizing I was burning matches I should have saved for later. It was almost too late because they bumped the pace all the way to Sanderson and then back down to Ramona before heading east towards State Street.

I got a chance to pull us up to Soboba and we turned east once again to start towards the Golf Course. As we topped the first roller four or five riders blew pat me and headed for a high speed run down Soboba. I held my pace as Piranha took off as well. This time it was a case of local knowledge in that he didn’t realize we had a second roller and we reeled him back in. I was fading fast as we got close to the last rise before the golf course driving range but Sea Lion saved me by taking the lead and holding it to the last little hill.

We regrouped at the big tree next to the gold course before making the last leg to Carl’s and coffee. I am usually up for the sprint over the river bed but today I had nothing left and made a very poor lead out till we crested and made our way to Washington. We caught up to Dura Max and Ocelot and just as I pulled up next to them Dura Max flatted. I stayed with them and we rode to Carl’s together. A little coffee and some conversation as we were on our way home with another great ride under our belt.

Dura Max and Ocelot left us at Park and Highlander pushed us all the way back to Devonshire and then west in an attempt to keep his average speed up. I don’t know what happened to Highlander but ever since he got that new bike he has turned into an animal. Still it was a good ride and a good day so who am I to complain?

No comments:

Post a Comment