By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
I had been surprised how quickly I was getting back on pace when I got back from my vacation. It should be of no surprise then that I decided to toss in one of our better training rides with a bit of climbing and just over 40 miles. Everyone else must have felt pretty good about the ride as well because between the A, B and C group we have 15 riders ready to leave the parking lot by 8:30. Raptor and Traveler left first getting a head start down Gilmore on their more casual ride.

Thirteen of us pulled up to the light at Gilmore and Florida on a clear cool day that had promise of being the best day we had to ride for some time. We had a pretty good division between a potential A and B group with Gambler, D’Artagnon, Attack cat, Centaur, Huntress, Double Time and Sea Lion in the former and Dura-max, Ocelot, T-3, Bounty Hunter, Highlander and me in the latter. Our plan was to stay together till we got to the Domenigoni saddle and then split up and make a run to Goetz for the A group and LaLadera for the B group.

We made it down to Acacia and turned towards Kirby with everyone staying pretty close together. We caught the light red and had to wait to make turn on Kirby and up to Cypress. This part in normally the most social time of our ride and today seemed little different. We cruised smoothly around the corner at Cypress and chatted away as we move towards Johnston. Once again we all caught the light at Sanderson and had to wait till we could turn south towards Domenigoni. What surprised me was how strong everyone seemed to be as they rode behind me. I could tell that once we got on Domenigoni it could be a struggle just to hold on to the group let alone the A guys.

As I predicted the pace picked up as we moved down Domenigoni heading west but the pace seemed reasonable as we moved through a rotation and I slowly moved to the front to take my turn at pulling. As we got closer to Warren Road I noticed Raptor and Traveler were ahead of us and we were slowly closing in on them. We had a pretty constant 21 MPH in the line as we caught up to them and I got a quick shot of Traveler as we passed.

I pulled out of the lead as we crossed the river and once again I expected the pace to increase but it didn’t and we were still in one group. As I moved back in the pack Bounty Hunter fell off a bit and waved me in front of him. To be honest I should have fallen all the way back but I wasn’t thinking and I pulled into the fifth spot just about the time we got to Winchester. Slowly but surely people started to fall off the front till I was second behind Gambler, not one of my favorite spots as we closed in on the saddle. Gambler pulled off and I knew perfectly well I didn’t have the steam to out run the young Turks up the hill from the number one slot. I looked back to see Highlander was no longer on my wheel so I backed off and let the rest of the group go.

To tell the truth we really weren’t spread out all that far and as I rode next to Bounty Hunter I watched to run up the hill like a spectator. D’Artagnon took off like a shot as a group of four headed for the top where we planned to regroup and divide into the final A and B group. Dura- Max was going to take part of B group and cut off on LaLadera and I would take part of B group and follow the A group all the way out to Goetz. It only took a few minutes for everyone to catch their breath and we were once again on the road and heading west with the A group pulling away into the distance.

Highlander, T-3, Cycobob, Dura-max, Ocelot, Bounty Hunter, Sea Lion and I followed the A group towards Murrieta and soon noticed they were pulled over to help Double Time repair a flat. We continued on yelling at them that they would have to pick it
Up if they wanted to catch us before we got to the top of Goetz. Dura-max, Ocelot, Bounty Hunter and Highlander turned off at LaLadera while Cycobob, T-3, Sea Lion and I headed for Goetz. As fate would have it the A group didn’t catch us before we climbed Goetz and we didn’t see them till we got back to Murrieta where the passed us and headed for McCall. Turns out the group split once more with Huntress and Double Time breaking off and giving chase to Dura-max and his group. The A group left us and we never saw Dura-max and the B group again.

We made it down the dump road and finally out onto Winchester before turning on Stowe and then Stetson. Just as we turned onto Stetson I ran out of juice. I believe the cold was getting to me and my neck was sore. But then I had tried to cut back on caffeine and I hear that sometimes you get a head ache. I followed my group to Hanger one where I decided on a cup of coffee and refreshed myself as we waited for Double Time and Huntress to limp in on his last tube and no more CO-2. We finished filling his tire and headed back to Burger King for a finish to a great ride on a great day. It was a good 42 miles for me and a good day to be with friends. What is not to like about living in California in the winter when you are a cyclist?

No comments:
Post a Comment