By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
In a line from Forest Gump it is said that life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. Today was a bit like that, I had expectations and all I could do was hope they came to pass. As we left the parking lot I had ten people in my box and we all seemed rather laid back riding over to Lyon and north towards Ramona. Raptor had pulled into the parking lot just before we left and offered to ride with Traveler indicating that we had twelve riders before we left. We didn’t get far however when the candy box started to get mixed up because Casey Jones called t ask where we were heading indicating he was behind us and on his way.

We kept the Esplanade I realized Casey wasn’t going to catch us if I didn’t stop so once we turned onto Ramona Road I pulled the group to a stop and we waited for him. We sat there and Wolf explained cows to Ocelot. She wasn’t all that interested in looking at potential food and she didn’t think she wanted to walk over to the fence and pet one just to see if they like people. We chatted easily and by the time I tried to call Casey back he was turning the corner and pulled up behind us. We all started moving again towards Sanderson and the turn to Ramona Expressway. With the good weather and the fact it was getting warmer it was a little like biting into a dark chocolate soft center of orange cream. It was good.

The ride west on Ramona Road is always easy and with very little traffic. I fell back and got a few pictures and had a chance to visit with Centaur and Wolf before moving forward to talk with Highlander and T-3. So far this was a good box of chocolates and nothing tasted bad. I knew the pace would pick up on Ramona Expressway but I also knew that Dura-max would take care of the B group if we broke into two groups.

As we pulled onto Sanderson and made the right towards Ramona I moved to the left to get into the turning lane. A car that was about 150 yards behind me and in the far right lane decided to move left and see if he could drive up next to me and honk his horn for whatever reason he had. I had already moved into the median to get ready to enter the turn lane when the driver caught a red light and we all pulled up next to him. Attack cat and Casey Jones were more than happy to educate the driver into proper bike verses car etiquette. With Sea Lion sitting right next to the car I am pretty sure the driver felt properly chastised and I did everything in my power not to smile at his discomfort. That particular piece of chocolate had very little taste.
After we started west on the Expressway one or two of us started a pull till Casey Jones got to the front and took off like a jack rabbit. I decided not to go after him and try to hold the group together when Attack cat took off after him instead. Soon we had to rabbits and a veritable pack of hounds following. We messed around a bit before finally putting together a pace line all the way to Bridge Street. We caught Raptor and Traveler about ¼ mile passed Warren Road and turned the corner onto Bridge as a complete group. T-3 pulled up next to me to express concern about the car issue and I assured her that I wasn’t all that disturbed. That piece of candy was like a chocolate turtle.

We all regrouped at Gilman and Bridge and I pulled us to the top of the grade heading back to Sanderson. I don’t know how many know what Marzipan it is my very least favorite Chocolate covered candy. That was what was in my next bite as I noticed my bike wasn’t downshifting. I could get it into a bigger ring in the back but wouldn’t drop down into a smaller gear so my top speed was suffering quite a bit, not to mention a concern that the derailleur might be bent. Casey Jones Passed me on the downhill side just before Sanderson but for whatever reason he rode right passed Sanderson and we never saw him again during the ride. By the time we got back to Ramona Road I had to stop several times to try and adjust my derailleur. I was picked up by Dura-max and his group. I rode with Highlander and T-3 back to State Street.

We made the traditional run through the rollers on Soboba and regrouped once again at the golf course. After a rather short break we took of extra outer wear and headed for the river hill and the turn towards Florida on Ramona. I got some sour candy shortly after turning east because somehow we lost Highlander. Turns out he got caught at the light just passed the river bed and I didn’t notice. At first I thought he might have headed for home where D’Artagnon had but soon I discovered we had dropped him and failed to notice. He called to let me know where he was and then headed home as we turned onto Cedar. Shortly thereafter we were stopping for coffee at Carl’s. We were joined by Raptor and Traveler and after coffee we split up to go our separate ways home.

Dura-max and Ocelot were headed back to Casino Bikes and Attack Cat was headed for home. Centaur, Wolf, T-3, traveler and I were headed back west on Lincoln and Burger King. I am sure Traveler had to work a bit harder on his mountain bike but he stayed with us pretty well. It didn’t take long before we were back to Park and making a quick turn on Columbia then Devonshire and we were almost back.

By the time we were on Latham and passed State Street We had discussed our day and pulled up on a guy riding a Chopper bike. I believe I have owned motorcycles with smaller back wheels and I stopped to ask him about his ride. I am sure it is comfortable over some of the small cracks that shake us a bit on a 700c tire but fast it wasn’t.
I followed Traveler on Palm as Centaur and Wolf kept going towards Burger King. I caught up with T-3 just as we got back to Florida. Then I lost my jacket and had to go back to get it. Having lost both T-3 and Traveler I turned towards Lyon to get my derailleur checked out and see what was happening to keep it from shifting. Turns out my cable was suffering from stretch as much as anything so it wasn’t a major problem. That news was like a Chocolate covered Cherry. It was a great day with a few problems but with good friends and good weather sp what more can I ask for?

No comments:
Post a Comment