By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
Hemet, Ca
The battle plans had been drawn weeks before and the initial attack on Lambs Canyon was supposed to take place on December the 7th. However more like the plans for the original invasion of Normandy the attack was postponed because of bad weather. When this morning rolled around some of us were more than ready for the ride up Lambs Canyon. Like all warriors we had to put on our battle gear and prepare our weapons and that is pretty much what we had to do before we started the ride today. We put on protection for our arms, legs, hands, feet, face and head. But we would need more than things for defense we would need tools for the attack and those came with names like Trek, Specialized, Giant and LaPierre. By 9am out small squad was assembled and ready to go. We even had a new member to our group that had come from behind the enemy’s line, Mark better known by some in the bike forums as Metric Man.
Once we left the assembly point there was a look of determination on everyone’s face as we first moved north and then west as we turned on Ramona as if we were creating a diversion before we hit the onramp at the bottom of Lambs canyon. Highlander broke right at Warren and Ramona to cut some distance off before her started up the canyon. It was a bit like sending a pathfinder out in front to scout for the rest of the group. After the rest of us turned onto Gilman heading back towards Sanderson, Rocket, Shadow and Cossack picked up the pace and started to pull away getting ready to make the turn onto the canyon grade. We knew Highlander was already on the hill so when Rocket, Shadow and Cossack made the turn it was almost like sending shock troops ahead to clear a path.
I started up the grade pretty well and was staying with Metric man until about the time we pulled up next to an old Van to assist a stranded motorist by allowing him to use my phone to call his son. Once we started off again I felt pretty good till I looked down and saw my heart rate was getting close to 170. I decided to back off and bit and dropped two gears and got my heart rate back into the 150s. I managed to stay in that range all the way to the top of the canyon where Metric Man left me to head for home. It is always good to ride with him.
After we had a short break at Jack in the Box it was time to head home. One short climb and then a very long five mile downhill were in front of us. I can’t begin to describe the rush running along in excess of 31 mph with little or no effort. But whatever that rush was it faded when we got to the second downhill grade and found ourselves clocking at just over 40MPH. I grabbed the lead and Highlander followed me like a heat seeking missile tracking a jet. I for one was sorry the when we got back to the flat streets of Hemet. We turned onto Ramona with one of those satisfied looks on our faces knowing we had defeated Lambs canyon in our heads. We also know we had a good time doing it
At the end of the day I had 39 miles on my odometer. It was cooler that I had expected but it seems as if I had just the right amount of layers on so I didn’t have to take more than my long fingered gloves off. It is always good to try a new challenge and to find that you are up for it.

No comments:
Post a Comment