Thursday, December 10, 2009

12/09/09
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)

Hemet, Ca


Rain may be necessary but it isn’t something a bicycle club looks forward to. When Monday morning rolled around and the number of cats and dogs increased exponentially in our area as they fell from the sky most of our group riders were feeling a bit antsy. By Tuesday afternoon I accepted an invitation from Quicksticks for a late afternoon ride that got me home just a bit after sunset. So I thought I knew how to dress for the Wednesday morning ride. As I got into my cycling clothes I thought three layers a Balaclava and a light windbreaker should be fine. It took me a while to discover the windbreaker wasn’t my best choice.
As I rode towards the meeting place parking lot it was just climbing to 40 degrees. As I pulled up and dismounted my bicycle I could see that Duramax, Parky and Deacon were all dressed as warmly as I. Tool man looked to be dressed for Snow and Rocket wasn’t far behind. Huntress pulled in followed by Highlander and Hit man. It seemed to take a bit longer than normal to warm up as we rode out towards Domenigoni.

Once out on Demenigoni we settled into a normal pace as we cruised out towards Warren road. Once we started over Warren Rocket and Tool Man picked up the pace a bit and soon Huntress and Hit man passed me as I pushed down the road like a car with a cold engine. It wasn’t long before we were spread out in a rather long line with Tool Man and Rocket way out in front followed by Hit Man and then Huntress and then the rest of us. I don’t believe we would have ever caught Rocket and Tool Man if they hadn’t waited for us at Winchester. It wasn’t long before we were back in a line and heading for Leon and Domenigoni hill. Tool Man and Rocket hit the hill hard and Huntress took the grade better than I have ever seen her ride up it. At the top we all regrouped and headed off for Scott Road.

We stayed pretty close together all the way to Haun Road and once we made the turn Tool man started to pull away. I was perfectly content with watching him go till Huntress gave chase and I decided follow her. Soon I pulled around to give chase only to have Rocket pass me followed a few seconds later by Hit Man. I was topped out and felt a bit like I was dragging something. Turns out my windbreaker was filling full of air and acting like a parachute. It had warmed up to 50 degrees so I felt I could sacrifice at least one layer to decrease wind drag, as if that would help? Once again Tool Man and Rocket waited for the rest of us and we regrouped as we headed up Holland Road. Tool Man got a phone call and had to leave us before the next little climb and Rocket had to leave shortly after we all collected at the top of it. Once Highlander and I made it to the top of that little hill we rode together and made the turn heading towards Newport. Hit Man led the way towards La Landra.

The remainder of our group rejoined at the park on La Landra and after a short stop we continued on towards Macall. Hit Man decided to ride Macall twice and rejoined up as we turned east towards Winchester. He must have been concerned with getting in more miles because he left us before we got back to Chris’s leaving just four of us to stop and recount the ride for the day.

I got home with 45 miles on the clock with an average temperature of 46 degrees while riding. Great looking day even if it was a bit cooler than we are used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment