Wednesday, September 16, 2015
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
The weather wizards were wrong and it didn’t rain today. Yes we got a minute or two of drizzle but not rain and so it was looking like a good day for a few flat miles around Lake Perris. I had breakfast and ran a razor over my face before heading to Burger King.
Digger and I stood by the warming window, the big plate glass one facing east at Burger King, and had some coffee while people started to arrive. Bugler showed up about the same time as Highlander but he forgot his shoes and had to run home. Huntress and Anaconda arrived early just before ME-109 and Tax Man. That made eight of us once Bugler got back to head out to Latham and turn north on Lyon.
We didn’t get far and we were just picking up momentum when someone yelled flat and we saw ME-109 pull off of the road. Highlander returned to assist in the repair and I played with my Garmin trying to get it to pair after the new software upgrade. I talked with Digger for a while or at least till ME-109 was rolling again before following Digger north and coming up to Esplanade. We just got out feet down when the light turned green and we were back on our way. I followed almost all the way to old Ramona for the turn west.
Some of us were dreading the ride on the Expressway because it so often turns into a drag race. So I kept thinking about that as we got to Sanderson and hit the light on the Expressway. There was nothing to worry about however because Digger got us started and Bugler took over after ME-109 rolled by with Huntress on his wheel. For a change no one chased then and they quickly pulled away. Bugler pulled the rest of us towards Bridge where ME-109 and Huntress waited for us. After we past them ME-109 rolled by us again and took off for Lakeview. Huntress stayed with us and relieved me after I took my turn at the front. Bugler took the last pull as we got to Hansen and took a break. Digger rolled on by heading for the rollers.
After getting some water we headed west again it chase of Digger with me starting the pull.
I took the lead and got us most of the way to the bridge with the whole group right on my wheel. After the bridge Huntress slipped by and attacked the first roller with Bugler in hot pursuit. I pulled in behind Bugler and let him pull me by Huntress and then pulled by just before the top of the first roller. I backed off a bit and Bugler caught and past me while I waited for Huntress and Anaconda to tag up on my wheel and then fell in behind them as the chased Bugler. Before we hit the second roller I got back in front and started a chase of Bugler. He crested first and I wasn’t going to catch him on the downhill. Tax Man did catch me on the downhill and I followed him till we caught Digger and then Bugler and headed to a regroup with ME-109 on Evans.
We then headed north towards Iris so we could head back east.
The plan was to bypass Mickey Ds and head towards Alessandro but it turned out a bathroom break was necessary. The women wanted it known the stop wasn’t because of them just for our information so they stayed outside and talked with me while we waited for everyone to be ready to start east again. We didn’t all make it through the light so some of us had to wait for Anaconda and Huntress but it didn’t take long. Tax Man then took off and gapped the group by about a block as we made the slight climb to the north gate of Lake Perris. Tax Man was way out front as we started down the grade towards the last two lights where Iris curved north east. We caught him at the first light but he pulled in front again and was pulling away again when all of us but Highlander had to stop for the red light at the last stop light.
Picture 09
Tax Man soft pedaled a bit as we first met up with Highlander and made the turn on Alessandro to head north east. Huntress finally pulled in front as we hit the second turn onto Alessandro and headed for Gilman. I was on her wheel for a log time before ME-109 pulled by and pulled away. The road seemed to be a bit rough for Huntress and I got by her by pulling out into the middle of the road where it was smoother. I was pulling fine till the wind shifted and I got a five bike gap that only Bugler tried to close. He just caught me as we pull up to ME-109 on Gilman and made another regroup. When we were ready to start again Huntress tagged up on ME-109’s wheel and set a pretty good pace. Finally Tax Man and Highlander Tagged up on Huntress and started to follow ME-109 till he pushed the throttle forward and pulled away. I was back with Bugler and Anaconda while Tax Man and Highlander pulled away and Huntress started to drop back behind them. As Anaconda slowed I pulled by and closed on Huntress and followed Tax Man and Highlander to the next little roller. When Tax Man slowed I pulled by and tried to pull but they had lost momentum and I had to wait till the next down grade for them to catch me.
I pulled for a long time and switched my Garmin to HR and Speed as we closed in on the next grade. I looked at our speed and dropped a gear to fall from 20-21 to 18 the 17 and averaged 16.5 wit Huntress right on my wheel. We stopped at Bridge to regroup where Tax Man and Highlander decided to continue on while Huntress and I waited for Bugler, Anaconda and Digger. Digger got to us and said Bugler was helping anaconda with a flat. He then continued on when Huntress and I went back to assist in the flat repair. Turned out they had the wrong CO-2 cartridges and had to use a hand pump. We then headed for Bridge again with Huntress in the lead. Anaconda didn’t have enough air in the tire so we lost Huntress after Bridge when we stopped to top off her tire with my CO-2 cartridge. I pulled us to Sanderson and then down to Ramona before Bugler took over and pulled us back past Esplanade and the way home.
We wondered why it seems like every time we head south on Sanderson the wind is in out face. But we settled into a three person pace line and continued on to Menlo where I took the lead and pulled us to Devonshire. We were talking about what a great day this had been for a ride as we headed to Gilmore and into the Burger King parking lot. I grabbed another cold drink and headed home for a showed and a birthday lunch with my wife and her sister.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment