Monday, March 23, 2015
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
I got up this morning thinking I would see spring like weather. What I saw was the tail end of a Southern California winter. It was cool and overcast so I put on arm and leg warmers and headed for the parking lot to see who would join me. I got to Burger King and went inside to have coffee with Digger and Sasquatch while Highlander, Tax Man and Bloodhound stood out in the cold. Ray1 and Rooster rode up t talk with Highlander and Tax Man when Quicksilver arrived. She took a long time to get ready but that might have been because Highlander and Bloodhound took a lot of time chatting with her while she got ready. Finally she did get ready and we headed out onto Latham and over to Lyon to ride north and start the day.
We ended up chasing Bloodhound all the way to Esplanade where he caught a red light and had to wait till a car came to trip the light. Finally a car did pull up and we were on our way to Seventh Street.
We had to watch Bloodhound pull away again as we crossed Seventh and headed for Cottonwood. It didn’t really matter because he hardly even rides with us anyway. He does his own ride and we watch him leave after every regroup or stop. That is just how he trains himself. He did wait for us at Ramona Boulevard as we turned west towards Sanderson.
I pull out front and took us to Sanderson then up to the Expressway to get ready for the trip west to the light at Hansen. I wanted a steady 20 MPH or so with the plan of keeping all of the riders together. That plan was soon dashed when Bloodhound pulled by me and away and soon Rooster and Sasquatch gave chase. I started to go after them but decided to pull back and lead the rest of the group past Bridge and after the fleeing threesome. I was feeling fresh but in hindsight maybe pulling all the way to Hansen wasn’t the best thing I could do before heading for Juniper. At the time I didn’t think about that so we got to Hansen shortly after Sasquatch, Rooster and Bloodhound.
Once we had all assembled Quicksilver started us south on Hansen towards Condor. Once we got to the corner Bloodhound, Sasquatch and I Pulled by Quicksilver and once again watched Bloodhound pull away.
Soon we were joined by Rooster and we closed the gap a bit on Bloodhound. I dropped back behind Sasquatch and followed him over the first hill and we were still close behind Bloodhound. By the second hill I took off after Bloodhound and pulled away from Sasquatch. But before we crested Rooster rolled by me and ran down Bloodhound. I continued to try and close but simply ran out of gas about 300 yards from the top of the last hill, Sasquatch caught me and rolled by. I dug down and roared back by Sasquatch but I was toast well before the stop sign and he came back by. We waited for Quicksilver at the stop sign and then followed her to the top to wait for the rest of the group.
Once we were ready to drop off of the hill Highlander assured me he had no intention of racing down the hill. I thought he was fibbing and sure enough he was. I ended up chasing him into the first turn on the downhill and held him off all the way to the bottom and the corner for a regroup. Quicksilver wanted to pull down Florida but Highlander took the lead and got us out onto Florida and west to Briggs before we turned south towards Grand.
We rode towards the housing tract and realized the dirt road had been paved. So we stayed on the road and headed for the dump road and the turn east. Rooster took over the lead from me at the corner of Grand and pulled us all the way to Leon. I looked back at the Group and noticed Sasquatch was moving up and knew he wanted to attack the segment of the Flag Sprint. As we got to the line for the sprint Rooster paid for the long pull and Sasquatch moved up as I rolled around to the front. Quicksilver got cut off and missed the sprint just as Sasquatch dropped the hammer. The problem was we were headed into a slight wind and I had his wheel. Rooster had my wheel but he wasn’t as close when I jumped out in the last 30 yards and pulled around to take the sprint about a half a bike in front of Sasquatch. The man is riding like an animal and the name fits.
We headed up to Winchester and Rooster pulled us up t Winchester farms for a short break and regroup. Bloodhound left first but we didn’t have much time before Quicksilver moved us out onto Stowe and headed us east towards California Street.
Sasquatch found his legs as we turned onto California and while I could catch him I couldn’t pass him so I had to let him go. Rooster and I started east on Stetson and soon Rooster chased Sasquatch leaving me to my solitude as I rolled by Warren with Highlander closing on me. Sasquatch and Rooster caught the light at Cawston where Highlander and I caught them. I got us to Sanderson and took us north to Lowes where Ray1 joined us and headed for Acacia. We got back past Kirby and I got us to Gilmore and back to Florida where Sasquatch and Rooster left us. Several of us stopped at Burger King before heading for home and a well deserved shower.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment