Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Never Give up

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) As I sit here getting ready to report on today’s ride I am exhausted. At times I guess physical exhaustion is a good sign that a person put out a good effort at whatever activity they were doing but today a whole series of decisions I believe got me to this state. I will insert the decisions into the ride report just to let you know how I got here knowing that many of you might simply nod in understanding or shake your heads. My first decision came from vanity as much as anything. After Monday’s ride and my shower I noticed I was one pound heavier than I have been for the last six months. One pound might not seem like much and in fact it isn’t but when or if you have been like me and packed sixty-eight extra pounds with you while trying to cycle with this group you might understand my concern. Anyway I decided to go back on my low calorie low carb program for a week or two to drop a few pounds and get ready for the Rat Beach Ride later this month. Anyway I left the house after consuming a protein shake and less than 200 calories for breakfast. As I rode to the parking lot to meet with Digger I felt pretty good. By 8am we had a small group with just a few A riders and a few B riders heading south on Gilmore in pursuit of Red Rabbit who had left early. We just missed him at the light on Florida and again at the light on Acacia. By the time we were on Acacia Rabbit was out of sight.
I figured Gambler, Bulldozer, Newsboy and Dragon slayer would pick up the pace leaving Highlander, Closer, Digger and me to form the B group and follow them to the regroup points along the way. Still no one past me as we turned onto Cypress and I was allowed the lead all the way to Johnston and Sanderson where we found Red Rabbit stuck at the light. Catching him so early in the ride meant he more than likely would be with us all the way to Lake Perris but at least he was out giving it a try. We turned onto Sanderson and headed for Domenigoni for the run west.
I started the pull and gave it over to Dragon slayer after the rise. I noticed as I fell to the back that we had picked up another rider, Erick, somewhere along the way. He looked like a strong rider and I fell in behind the group as we headed towards Warren. As we headed for the dry wash I was impressed with the pace and the fact that everyone was still in the pace line. As we crested the bridge Gambler picked up a piece on metal that wedged between his wheel and brake set so we stopped while he cleared it. As soon as we were back on the road I led Digger to Winchester before the rest of the group caught us. As we waited at the light Bandit came at us from the west and hooked a U turn before we got the green. I chased Gambler as he closed on Bandit and the rest of the group closed on us well before we got to the trees past Winchester. Gambler took the lead and kicked the pace up as we speeded towards Leon. As we got to the climb up the saddle Bandit started a sprint followed by Bulldozer and Newsboy. Dragon slayer looked mad as he went by and I only heard him say he may have to hurt the boy. Seems as if Newsboy cut him off at the beginning of the sprint and he wanted to discuss the transgression at the first opportunity. I on the other hand was out of sprint and I knew just why. A low calorie low carb breakfast has run out and I was operating on stored energy. Maybe this was not the best day to cut back because of one pound. I followed the fast group over the saddle and stopped on Lindenburger to collect Highlander, Closer and Digger. I decided to eat my protein bar a bit early knowing I better start refueling or I might be in trouble by the time we got to Lake Perris. Once we were all together, and Digger had past us while I ate, we headed towards the Am/Pm and a regroup before the long run north on Menifee towards Nuevo. I may have started the pull north bu I knew I lacked the steam to build up and pace on the incline heading to Mapes. Dragon Slayer saved me by pulling by and taking the lead and pulling us over the rise on Menifee just past the Nursery. I started to come back around as he faded slightly but Bandit came by right after I took the lead and pulled us to the stop sign. I started feeling a bit like I was closing in on bonk city so I took a few shot blocks after the second surge and followed Dragon Slayer to Nuevo where we exchanged leads till we got to Evans and waited for our small group. Next we headed north towards Ramona and Lake Perris.
We made short work out of Evans and soon were headed towards the west entrance to Lake Perris. I stuck to Dragon Slayer’s wheel till we past the ticket booth and then attempted to attack the hill heading to the Marina road. I did fine about two thirds of the way to the top only to feel like I was running out of gas before we turned off of the main road. I was relieved when we pulled into the marina and regrouped with the rest of the riders. Hindsight allows me to see my next mistake was not to have electrolytes in at least one of my water bottles. Normally when we stop at the marina I get an electrolyte drink or I take some electrolyte capsules while we rest. I didn’t do that today and spent my rest time talking to Erick before heading out for the east side of the lake on the bike path with the group. Dragon Slayer and Digger were the first on the trail and it took me quite a while to catch them. I caught Dragon Slayer and we began the run at the east side TT. Bulldozer pulled the group up to us and I faded to the back and had to work my way forward just to run with the big boys. After the rest I was feeling pretty good and managed to stay with Gambler till we crested the little hill leaving the bike trail. When we crested I backed down again to pick up the B group while Gambler and Bulldozer took everyone else out of the park and headed home on Ramona. I regrouped the B group at the crest of Barnasconi before heading for Ramona.
When we were headed east on Ramona I started the pull and took everyone to Lakeview before I realize I was running out of gas. At least it is a different feeling than it is when I tried to be a vegetarian. When I tried that I found the when you run low on energy you are through, done, finished. At least this time I was able to keep pushing at a bit lower pace most of the way to Bridge before Closer and Highlander had to give me a breather to Warren. I got us to Sanderson and decided to take it straight down to Devonshire. Digger left us to move over to Lyon and closer to his home. Highlander and Closer said they were about shot so I pulled all the way back to Devonshire and then the parking lot. We talked for a few minutes and I headed for home. As I turned onto my street I was running on fumes and looking forward to a shower and food. After eating something and downing some more water I took the dog for a walk and come home to download my Garmin to STRAVA. I was going to download the pictures as well but I was overcome with being tired. I was falling asleep at the keyboard so I shut everything down and took a nap to about an hour and a half. I may have to rethink the small breakfast on days I think I can chase the young guys for 50 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment