Friday, August 8, 2014
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
As always it seems as if Friday riders are a total surprise as to how good or bad they turn out, today just happened to be one of the good days. I put on a new pair of cycling shorts and an old jersey and headed for the parking lot to see who would show up.
Digger was waiting for me when I pulled up and Dragon Slayer wasn’t far behind. Highlander and Bloodhound arrived as did Surgeon. Brain and Bill were both there as was Minotaur, Highlander and Centaur. We sat around talking waiting to see if the bling team was riding and Barracuda and Pirate arrived along with MacGyver and Jackal. That was the magic number and we were ready to head south on Gilmore. We turned onto Acacia and again on Kirby to head south.
Bloodhound was feeling frisky again today but everyone else was taking their time warming up as we made our way to Cypress and west. Just like in the past when we would do a west ride Bloodhound had t come back for us before we got to Johnston and then he was pulling out front again to make the turn to Sanderson and North to Wentworth. Traffic was a bit lighter than it had been Monday so we easily made it into the turn lane and headed west on Wentworth to Cawston to cut over to the airport road.
As Bloodhound took us out onto Stetson things started to ramp up a bit but for the most part no one was letting him go. I got on his back wheel and Highlander was on mine with several riders stacked up behind us. We slowed for traffic at Warren and took off again to make the run at California. MacGyver and Dragon Slayer pulled up behind me and we all stayed close on Bloodhound as we turned south on California and lined up on Stowe to get ready for the speed run to Winchester.
Bloodhound started us out and crept up to about 22 before giving the lead to me. I only pulled for a few yards before MacGyver and Dragon Slayer started a rotating pace line. We only made it through two rotations before Jackal and several others joined the line. However I ended up getting boxed in as the lead 4 pulled away and finally Surgeon slotted in at number five. I had to close the gap and didn’t get to the leaders till the barn so I simply went on by to the Winchester parking lot for a regroup.
We started out again and moved to Winchester and south with Bloodhound in the lead again. He pulled steadily south all the way to the Railroad tracks with the whole group staying in line.
It only took us a few minutes to get to Domenigoni and wait for the light. Once it turned green Surgeon started the pull east and stayed out front almost to the flag pole before MacGyver took over and slowly ramped it up. It wasn’t long before the group started to get ragged so Barracuda slipped up to the front and had MacGyver throttle it back. As we headed past Warren and closed on Sanderson I took the opportunity to pull to the front myself and grab a quick picture before falling away and yelling that we should regroup at Searl.
No one heard me I guess because I was the only one who stopped and waited for the stragglers so we could ride together to State Street where the rest of the group were waiting.
A few of the riders decided to by-pass Gibble and either waited at state of rode off to Mcsweeney to rejoin us when we got back. Bloodhound never stopped in the first place and I was well out front as we headed for Gibble and the three climbs. I was talking with Brian as MacGyver rode by heading for a PR on the climb and I told Brian I was going to just climb steady so he should go with MacGyver if her needed a workout. By the second climb I could see Jackal trying to close on me and by the last climb MacGyver was headed back down. I got to the top to find Bloodhound and Dragon Slayer waiting and we all waited till some of the other riders got to the top before heading back down to State to start north and finish the ride to Carl’s.
Bloodhound and Brian were long gone before we got to Stetson and headed east. I took us around the corner and headed for Columbia. Because they had been working on Crest I kept us on Thornton till we got to Lake and cut over to Stetson. MacGyver pulled us to Fairview and then north to Florida. Bill dropped off to get in some extra miles and Bloodhound never stopped so there were only 12 of us at Carl’s for coffee and conversation. MacGyver needed it to be a short break so we were back on Lincoln and headed west in only a few minutes.
We more or less cruised back to Park where Surgeon left us and then to the jog at Devonshire where Digger left us. We then started down the grade on Devonshire and rolled by Yale with Highlander in the lead. I wondered if he had a case of smelling the barn so I stayed with him as close as I could so we wouldn’t get separated by a light. Everyone else closed up as well and we all turned onto Santa Fe together and headed west on Latham to get back to Burger King.
As we crossed State Street I was in full cruise mode and noticed Bill was closing on us. I started to soft pedal just before Lyon only to watch Minotaur and Jackal jump off into a sprint. I waited till Bill joined us and rode into the parking lot to visit with the other riders before heading for home and a hot shower. I felt better than I had all week but was looking for a restful weekend and maybe a short ride Saturday. Still like I said earlier it was a great day for a ride.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment