Friday, June 27, 2014
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
It was Friday and it was supposed to be the coolest day of the week. I had a simple but interesting rides planned and was looking forward to it. However I had done projects all day Thursday and I will admit I was tired when morning rolled around. Still I expected to work through it and headed for Burger King just after breakfast.
I was disappointed when I didn’t see Bloodhound and concerned that MacGyver wasn’t there yet, because I was running late. Digger, Minotaur and Highlander were there however. Gambler and Bulldozer arrived shortly after I did followed by Huntress and Quicksilver. Surgeon showed up even if it was cool and overcast and finally MacGyver drove up so we could start the ride south.
It was a quick trip down Gilmore because we caught the light on Florida green. I started out feeling pretty tight and could only hope my arms and legs would warm up and loosen up before we got to Domenigoni. We had teased Quicksilver and said she would have to pull us all to the saddle but I was pretty sure that wasn’t going to happen. So I got up front with Highlander as we moved down Kirby and made the turn onto Cypress.
I wasn’t planning on pulling much today and so I was a bit surprised when I ended up towards the front as we headed through the housing tract on Cypress and headed for Johnston. Huntress and Quicksilver were close behind me as we came to Johnston and Sanderson only to catch the light red. Quicksilver pulled up next to me to let me know that a police car was parked behind us watching us. Or for our friends getting ready for the TDF next month, C'est une voiture de police derrière nous était garée à côté de la route.
Needless enough to mention we had to wait till the light was green and traffic was clear before heading south towards Stetson and towards Mustang.
I need not have been so concerned about the run west on Domenigoni because everyone worked well together and the group held up at 22 or 23 MPH all the way past Warren and the dry wash. We were still together at Winchester with Gambler and Bulldozer setting the pace. MacGyver took over and slowly ramped it up slightly as we got close to Leon. The group started to fracture a bit as we got to the bottom of the saddle and I managed to slip by MacGyver after he did all the work getting me to the climb.
We dropped off of the back side of the saddle and headed for Menifee and the little park for a nature break. The Bling team left first while surgeon changed a flat tire. The rest of us followed and by the time I got to the top of Revive Quicksilver was sitting by the side of the road with a picnic lunch complete with blanket, hot tea and sandwiches. Ok maybe it was only a Granola bar but she looked comfortable. The big dogs kept going and made their way to Scott. I took the rest of the group to Scott and headed west past Antelope and finally Haun. I spotted Minotaur in the distance and worked hard ton catch and pass him making it to Murrieta just ahead of the rest of my group.
Once we were all together I started a hard pull north heading for Holland. Highlander and Minotaur managed to get on my wheel and I kept the pace up all the way to Holland where Highlander and Surgeon headed for Newport and I waited for my group at the corner. Huntress and Quicksilver rolled by me after Minotaur and as soon as I saw Digger I gave chase. I got to Railroad canyon only slightly faster than Quicksilver, Minotaur and Huntress. My thought at the time was that the two women were more like hunting lionesses than I realized and they would always be looking to run me down.
As we moved east I could just barely see the fading group of big dogs heading up the last climb. I almost lost sight of them when I got caught at the light by the shopping center and I gave chase all the way to Murrieta where they caught the light red and I pulled up next to them. I only waited for my group for about a minute while I watched the three big dogs pull away. We followed a few moments later.
We were moving along easily as we got back to Bradley and got ready to pull up to the light at Haun. As always we got ready to take the lane while going over the freeway and Quicksilver pulled us over to Antelope. As we pulled through the intersection Minotaur took the lead and we moved towards Menifee. We only made it to the first or next stop light before Huntress got a flat and we got a chance to watch a tire changing clinic from the Bling Team.
Once back on our way Digger took over pulling duty and got us to Menifee where we turned north and made our way to Simpson. We rounded the corner and headed east back towards Lindenburger separated by only a few yards. But the pace picked up quite a bit after we crossed Lindenburger and I had to soft pedal after leon till we were pretty much all back together headed for Winchester. I then started us north towards Stowe and wanted to check in to see if anyone stopped for coffee.
Once we noticed no other riders were at Winchester Farms we got back on Stowe and headed east towards California will Minotaur leading the way. I don’t know what happened to Digger but he didn’t call me so I can only assume he was following at his own pace. I took over the pull at California and pulled part way once we got on Stetson. Minotaur pulled to Warren and I took over again heading for the airport road. We were ready to part ways at the airport with Huntress and Quicksilver heading by the airport and onto Sanderson and Minotaur and I headed for Stetson and Sanderson.
Once we got to Sanderson Minotaur and I parted ways and I cut over to Johnston before heading east one last time. I rode back to Palm and then turned for home to enjoy lunch and a hot shower. Whatever fatigue I had didn’t set in till after lunch but I couldn’t kick back and check for pinholes in my eyelids till later in the day and running a few errands.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment