Friday, December 20, 2013

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) I wasn’t sure how today would turn out. It rained pretty much all day Thursday and it was originally supposed to be raining today according to the weather wizards. So I put together a rather simple ride over McCall and headed for Burger King to see how many were interested in putting in a quick 40 miles. I wasn’t expecting many riders because of the holidays but you never know until it is time to leave. I got to the parking lot and saw Digger and Highlander already there. We stood around talking and drinking till Bloodhound arrived. He was followed shortly by RCMP and Mantis. It didn’t take long till Gambler, somewhat bruised and battered, rode up with Bulldozer. Rob, (Pony express) pulled up just before a new rider, Albert joined us. Next to arrive was Ferret and Tinker Bell followed by Huntress. It was a good group for a ride that was never supposed to happen. We checked our watches and headed down Gilmore to Acacia before turning again on Kirby and heading south.
All in all we moved rather rapidly up to Cypress and turned to head west towards Johnston and Sanderson. Like many times before we headed north to Wentworth before once again catching the light and making the left towards the airport road. This time I led the way past Hanger 1 and took us out to Stetson.
I was feeling pretty good for a Friday and pulled steadily all the way to Warren where Bloodhound past me and took us to California and started us south. We were soon past by Bulldozer and he turned up the pace as we started west on Stowe. I got on his wheel and by the time we were halfway to the metal barn I wondered to myself how in the world did I get into such a hot run towards Winchester? I pulled out of the line and soon was joined by Gambler. We all stopped to regroup at Winchester ranch and took a break.
I got out onto Winchester first and was almost all the way to the dump road before I was captured by the group and we headed west again. This time I decided to stay with the leaders as we moved towards Leon, first led by Bloodhound and then Ferret. Ferret kicked it up a bit as we moved towards Briggs and rounded the corner. I stopped to pick up the stragglers and went back to get Albert. This was only his second ride in several weeks and he had never tried a group ride before. By the time he got to Briggs he was running on pure will power and he still had more than half of the ride to do. I decided to stay with him and let the rest of the group leave without us. We rode to Mapes and then to Minifee before riding south back to Florida. Mantis joined us before we got to McCall and we rode together to McCall Hill. We didn’t come close to the rest of the group till we got to Murrieta. But we caught the light red and they were already through. Out little group of three made our way to Cherry Hill before coming back to Bradley. We made short work of Bradley and turned east on Newport to join the rest of the group, sans Ferret and Tinker Bell.
We talked about splitting up the group on the ride home with half going straight east on Domenigoni and half taking Lindenburger to Simpson and heading towards Warren. We had to take a detour up to the college first before heading to Menifee.
By this time Albert was working a lot harder than he was used to but still hanging with the group. He was right with us as we turned towards Domenigoni. He was at the back of the group when we turned onto Lindenburger and watched Gambler, Bloodhound, Bulldozer and Mantis ride over the Saddle. Huntress, RCMP, Digger, Highlander, Pony Express and I made it to Simpson and set an easy pace line all the way past Winchester. At least it seemed like an easy pace line but it was just fast enough to bring Albert into the bonk zone. An early lesson I am afraid, learn to eat and hydrate or chance a bonk.
Highlander was working with Albert as he fell off the back and started to struggle just to keep moving forward. I turned back to assist and pull to warren as the rest of the group headed for home. We slowly managed to make it to Mustang by getting Albert to eat some shot blocks and drink something. I stayed with them to and we worked our way back to Acacia and then to Gilmore and finally to Burger King. I left them there and Highlander gave Albert a ride home. I got home with 45 miles on the computer and had to take the dog for a walk first thing. Second thing was a hot shower and lunch. But it was once again a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment