Monday, September 9, 2013

Birthday Pie Ride

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) Another week was about to start and we already had an event, Dragon Slayer and Bloodhound had a birthday today. So I put in a little 38 mile ride and a stop at Hanger 1 on the way home and talked Bambi into baking some pies and she tossed in a Peach Cobbler. I was feeling good and decided that if I got a chance I would both take my turn at pulling for the B group and playing up front when I could. So I got up, had breakfast, put my kit on and headed for Burger king to see who would join me. Digger and Dragon slayer were already there and Dura Max wasn’t far behind. Surgeon and Bloodhound pulled up next followed by Highlander and a few minutes later Tax Man. Daredevil and Quicksilver arrived and started to unload their car just as Hawk rode up with Matt. MacGyver was one of the last to arrive. I knew Shadow would be joining us so it seemed like we had a reasonable group for a Monday ride. I didn’t realize Dura Max would be leaving us to ride with T-3. We moved out onto Gilmore and down to Acacia. It looked right from the start as if he was going to push the pace from the start and he was out in front as we headed for Kirby with the warm California sun starting to shine on us from over Idyllwild.
We made the turn onto Kirby and Bloodhound more or less led us all the way to Johnston at close to 18mph. Not a typical warm up pace for the start of our ride. I had to chase him down to make sure he didn’t turn the wrong way on Sanderson. We made our way down to Wentworth and headed west back towards Stetson. Bloodhound and Surgeon took us out onto Stetson and over to Warren. Once over Warren Bloodhound kicked it up again and took several riders with him. I worried about having to ride him down again but fortunately one of our Big dogs, Daredevil took off after him and led him off towards Stowe well in front of the rest of us.
Before the rest of us got to Stowe Dragon Slayer rolled by at a rather rapid pace. It didn’t look like he was going to close on Bloodhound and Daredevil but he was going to be a lot closer than the rest of us. As I was considering this Surgeon and Quicksilver pulled away a bit and I decided to drop in on their back wheel. MacGyver pulled around us and headed for Dragon Slayer so I grabbed his back wheel till we over took him and the three of us worked together to make it in a respectable time to Winchester Market. We regrouped there and I realized Dura Max was gone so Digger told me about Dura Max leaving to ride with T-3. We rehydrated and got ready to head for the dump road and west.
As we made the turn the group was more or less together till once again the pace picked up and the group split. I stayed with Highlander, Tax Man, Quicksilver and Surgeon and watched the rest of the group pull away. Still I was feeling good so I pulled my small group all the way to Briggs and then up to Florida where we just missed the lead group by one light. Once we were on our way again we moved to the elementary school where Highlander, Surgeon and Tax Man turned leaving Quicksilver, Digger and I to ride up to Mapes and back out to Menifee. We got back to Florida and headed for McCall, after checking to see if everyone was stopped at the AM/PM. We didn’t see anyone on the McCall climb and for a change Quicksilver didn’t Chick me on the hill. We made our way down to Bradley and met up with Daredevil and the rest of the group. Except it turns out Highlander and Tax Man had gone home. Surgeon had a flat to fix before we headed for Murrieta. Once we got through the light on Murrieta Quicksilver latched onto the back of daredevil and Bloodhound. I feigned letting them get away and then closed onto their back wheel before trying a sprint to the top of the turn towards Cherry Hill. I got everyone but Daredevil and so once again avoided a Quicksilver dusting. We then turned east on Cherry Hill and headed towards Bradley.
Bloodhound was out front again and Daredevil decided to pick it up again and soon we had dropped Digger. I decided to take a little jog about a block before Bradley that brought me out in front of the group and I headed for Newport like a scalded dog. Still Daredevil brought the group up to me just before I got to the SDA church and they pulled up to the light on Newport in front of me. We all took the turn east and made it over t he freeway where we got split up at the light. Surgeon MacGyver, Quicksilver and I caught another light red and lost sight of the lead group. When we got started again I realized we had one more little hill to go over and that more than likely Quicksilver would attack me at the saddle. I didn’t wait so I managed to keep her from beating me once more. From that point on we rode together down the front of the saddle and towards Winchester. Once we got the green light we were headed towards Warren. Picture 14
We all took turns pulling after we past the flag pole and headed for the dry wash hill. MacGyver was a great help at keeping the pace going and soon we were on the little rise and sprinting over the top. I then took the opportunity to reset the pace down just a bit so we could cruise onto warren and start down towards Mustang and eventually to Stetson so we could head for Hanger one and refreshment with the birthday riders. MacGyver told me he wouldn’t be able to stop and that he would give Dragon Slayer a call.
Surgeon, Quicksilver and I headed east on Stetson and pulled onto the airport road in anticipation of meeting up with the rest of the group for coffee and pie. If you have never had any of Bambi’s pies, cakes or cobblers then you have missed some very good deserts. However: as we pulled around to the back side of the cafĂ© only about half of the group was still there. Even one of the birthday riders, Bloodhound had some other pressing matters and didn’t stop. At least Bambi had been true to her word and made several pies and a Peach Cobbler, and while we were ordering Digger arrived.
We spent some good quality time getting to know each other better as we had desert and in my case coffee. We had a chance to talk to the owner, Bambi and get some information on how she made her cobbler. Once we had rested and refreshed we got ready to head for home and Digger and I led the way back to Wentworth and out to Sanderson. For one of the first times I can remember we made the light at Sanderson and Dragon Slayer took us up to Lowes and around the back to get to Acacia.
I rode back to Kirby and then to Gilmore before following Dragon slayer and Quicksilver back to their cars. Shadow stayed with us while Digger headed for home. After a few more minutes of conversation we parted our ways and I rode home for a hot shower and to fix lunch for my wife. I ended up with 42 miles and a small sunburn but still it was a very good day for a ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment