Friday, August 9, 2013

By: C. Kent, aka (Superman) 8/9/13 Friday was here again and we had several good rides this week. I thought we should take a ride I call Dutch treat and get in about 45 miles and just a little climbing for the day. I call it Dutch treat because there is something for just about everyone. The sprinters have a chance to attack in several places, the climbers get a chance to shine and the people that want a little distance get in at least 45 miles. So I headed to Burger King looking forward to today’s ride. At first things looked a little light with only Digger, Blood Hound, Highlander, Dragon Slayer, Dura Max and I standing around and talking. Soon Quicksilver, Bulldozer, Barracuda, Gambler and Alligator pulled up and I thought for a Friday we had a pretty good group. I was very surprised to see Sea Lion after so many months and then Daredevil arrived as well. Last but not least we were joined by MacGyver just as we were ready to roll down to Acacia and over to Kirby to head south at the beginning of our ride.
As we moved to Cypress and west through the housing tract I had commented to Dragon Slayer that the eating plan was working and I am down about 25 pounds. But if there is one drawback it is my feeling that I am simply low on power almost every ride. Still I felt I had the stamina for the rides just not the speed for sprints. However there were sure to be a few sprints before the day was over. As we got to the light on Sanderson we all had a good idea how the group would split up. The fast A group would take off and some A group and a few Bs would go with them. I was talking to Barracuda and expected to pick up the flotsam and jetsam cast off from the quick moving A group ship as it sailed west on Domenigoni. No sooner had that thought escaped my lips that I watched Bulldozer take off with Bloodhound and Daredevil taking up the chase and then a few others joined them. I was surprised how well the trailing group did with Digger, Dura Max, Quicksilver, Highlander and I. Everyone else was almost out of sight as we got close to Winchester and I ended up in front pulling from Winchester to the saddle. I should have known I was in trouble when Quicksilver stayed on my back wheel all the way to the regroup on the saddle.
I noticed D’Artagnon had parked his car right behind the group as if he had spotted us and stopped to talk. As we rehydrated I have to admit my energy level wasn’t at its best and I felt I would have to start to conserve energy if I wanted to finish the ride with everyone else. So As I dropped off of the Saddle I started to plan on cruising in the middle of the pack. I coasted past Lindenburger and Laguna Vista before having to fade left into the turn lane at Menifee. As the light turned we all headed south and towards Holland and the little climb right after the stop sign.
As we got to the hill I noticed Highlander and Quicksilver were planning something and they were in the front of the group. I was back behind Bloodhound and hooked onto his wheel. Then I heard Highlander say something and stand as if he was planning on attacking the hill. Bloodhound jumped and I went with him. As I passed Highlander and Quicksilver I quickly wondered just what I was doing. I was deep in zone 3 and as Barracuda passed he asked how I expected to stay in 3 at that pace. I started to pull up only to see Quicksilver under full boil sprinting past me. I ended up dropping into the little ring and watching most of the riders pull away. Well at least I wouldn’t have to delete this ride from my Heart Rate monitor like I did for the Ride over Goetz. Still Quicksilver had made a very good pass. We regrouped on Scott and headed west to the climb to Murrieta. Highlander crossed Haun first and soon I was on his back wheel. We didn’t get 50 yards before Bulldozer blasted by and pulled away. Next Daredevil pulled away followed by Gambler. MacGyver took off after Gambler and I followed him, my legs complaining all the way. Gambler was simply pulling up to take the pull but MacGyver kept going and I went with him. My legs were screaming but I had a good pace going till I finally had to give up MacGyver’s wheel and do things on my own. Alligator passed me just before we crested and turned onto Murrieta and headed north towards Holland. I caught Alligator before the stop sign and then caught MacGyver before we got to Holland and turned west again. Only MacGyver and I stopped and the fast A group just kept going. MacGyver and I waited on Holland till Highlander pulled around the corner and took off for the hill. All I heard from him was,” sorry, I can’t stop.” Bloodhound rode by Holland and headed for Newport. Once everyone was collected we took off for the rollers and the hill as a group. When MacGyver started to hit is harder I remembered we had a segment on this hill and I gave chase. Once again I was in the zone and doing well when I got a call from Bloodhound indicating he was lost. By the time I got off of the phone Quicksilver and Sea Lion joined me and we continued on till we regrouped at Railroad canyon. I told Bloodhound were we were and then we took off again and headed east. We found Highlander waiting for us at the top of the last roller and formed a small group to head back to Lindenburger. As we got to Haun Quicksilver had her first roll over from forgetting to unclip but she wasn’t injured so we made it over the bridge and past Antelope to close in on Menifee again before turning on Lindenburger.
It was a simple matter to make our way to Simpson and east. We took turns heading to Winchester and soon were heading north towards Stowe and the Country Market. Quicksilver took off as we past the dump road and it was all I could do to catch her before we got to Stowe. We had some time for a cool drink and conversation before we were ready to head for home. Some of the group got the smell of the barn in their noses and jumped ahead on Stowe heading to California. Digger, Dura Max and I figured the ride was pretty much over once we stopped at a restaurant so we didn’t chase and took out time getting back to Warren. We rolled along to the airport where Digger left and Dura Max and I stayed together. Picture 109
Dura Max and I made our way to Sanderson and then over to Johnston and east again. For some reason I started to get stomach cramps and had to slow down a bit. Didn’t matter because I knew I only had two miles to go so we pushed on. Dura Max left me at my street and I headed for home and got there with 46 enjoyable miles on my computer. It was a bit more hectic than I had planned for a Friday but then, when isn’t Friday hetic?

No comments:

Post a Comment