By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
It had been a long time since we rode Lambs Canyon and when I was waiting at the parking lot it looked like there would be very few of us taking the ride today. But it wasn’t long before Blood Hound, Highlander, Centaur, Rocket, Gambler and Wolf to arrive. Torpedo pulled up with a few friends and we were all waiting to see if Huntress was going to come sliding around the corner but she never did. However Snake and his friend Jim, (Badger) pulled up just as we were getting ready to leave. It turned out that Torpedo and his friends were heading south and at first I thought Snake and Badger were going with them. However Gambler scooped them up and caught the rest of us on Lyon heading north.

I got back out in front and started a pull towards Ramona and found it rather easy to cruise at close to 20. It was overcast and pretty cool and at that point I wasn’t sure if not wearing a jacket was the smartest move I had ever made. Still I had a feeling the climb up Lambs Canyon would warm me up quite nicely. I also knew there were very few B riders today and the climb was going to be heated to say the least. Gambler looked fully prepared to push the climb far above what I would be capable of.

Highlander pulled up next to me and commented on the rapid pace that was being set as we moved closer to Sanderson before making the final turn north up Lambs Canyon. I told him my goal was to simply cruise up the hill and keep my heart rate down to make my doctor happy so he won’t prescribe any new medications before my next check up. Highlander was more than happy to say he would try and stay with me and climb together. Gambler and the rest of the group headed for the turn well ahead of us but was could at least catch them at the light to start the climb together.

It didn’t take long before the line started to spread out and Gambler pushed the pace as the group hit the hill. Highlander and I climbed and a more moderate pace in the rear but still not out of site of the rest of the group as we rolled past Gilman and the first long climb. For some reason the hill seemed a bit easier on me today and it seemed like I could pull much bigger gears than normal. As we topped the first grade we noticed Rocket and Centaur on the side of the road fixing a flat. Off in the distance were Badger and the long line following Gambler towards the stop light in front of the dump.

Highlander had me stop at the top of the second climb to take in the view of the mountains in front and canyon behind us before we rode down to Jack in The Box to join the rest of the group for coffee before heading back for home.

Rocket had an appointment so he left us a bit early and Centaur wanted to check his tire before we headed back towards Hemet. So we got up a bit early and walked outside and got ready for what promised to be a very fast ride back to Gilman and then home. Highlander lead us back out onto the road down Lambs Canyon the pace started out easy and I found myself up towards the front of the group. Once we crested the hill and started down towards the dump the pace picked up and soon I was coasting at more than 30 MPH.

I was pretty content to allow gravity to pull me down the hill when Gambler came powering by. He was followed by Badger and Snake so I jumped on and gave chase. We took turns trading places till we managed to catch the light at the Dump red and had to stop. I looked down and noticed my fastest speed was 47.9 MPH. But that was only the beginning. Once we were waved through the light we took off again and again Gambler, Snake, Badger and I took turns pulling till the last downhill where Badger took over and we took turns again to Gilman where Gambler left us and I sat up to wait for the rest of the group. Once we got to Ramona Wolf, Highlander, Blood Hound and Centaur caught up and I noticed Badger was off on the side of the road fixing a flat. I waited while Badger and Snake fixed the flat and the rest of the group headed back to the cars. I followed Snake and Badger back and joined everyone at the parking lot.
Once again it was a better day than I expected and a better climb than I expected. I talked with the group for a while before heading for home and lunch. It was also a good day for a nap. That way I could dream about the fast ride back down to Ramona.

No comments:
Post a Comment