By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
One thing about winter riding is we never know what size of group we are going to have. Looking outside at the sky first thing in the morning can make staying inside and having another cup of coffee an option you might not think of on a warm summer morning. I pretty much knew this was going to be one of those mornings. When I got to Burger King only Blood Hound was waiting and for the longest time it looked like just the two of us were going on a ride. Soon however Highlander and Rocket showed up followed by Vortex so at least we would be starting with 5 riders.
We pulled out onto Latham and turned north on Lyon but before we got two blocks north we were joined by D’Artagnon. Rocket, Highlander and I rode easily along talking with D’Artagnon as Vortex and Blood Hound pulled slowly ahead.

Once we turned onto Ramona Road we started to gain on Blood Hound and Vortex but before we could close the gap D’Artagnon dropped his phone and we turned back to see if everything was OK. By the time we got to Sanderson Blood Hound and Vortex were already heading west on the expressway. We caught the light and after we rode through D’Artagnon caught the light. We didn’t see Blood Hound and Vortex till we got to Nuevo. D’Artagnon pulled us all the way to Nuevo at about 22 MPH and it didn’t look like he had to work at all. We regrouped at Lakeview and then took off for Menifee. Once on Menifee D’Artagnon and Blood Hound took off and decided to stretch their legs. They waited for us at Mapes and then chased us to the Am/Pm before moving on to McCall.

Blood Hound and D’Artagnon pulled ahead of us and moved onto Heritage first while the rest of us lined up and formed a pace line before turning onto Heritage ourselves. It wasn’t all that warm but I had decided to take off my wind breaker. Even without the windbreaker I still ad on a thick jersey and a medium base layer. I wouldn’t say I was toasty but I wasn’t freezing cold either.

I pulled once we got to Simpson all the way to Leon and then Vortex took over till we got close to Winchester and somehow we managed to catch the turn light green and headed to Chris’s for coffee and conversation. This time we sat inside out of the cold. We didn’t stay as long as we do sometimes and we were back on the road where I pulled up to Stowe before heading east towards California.

For a while we stayed pretty much together but that was sure not to last as some of us seem to have a case of the horse and the barn syndrome. As we started to split up I reflected on how lucky we were even to be able to go out for a ride on a winter’s day. It may have been over cast but it wasn’t raining and at least for today it wasn’t windy.

Again Blood Hound and D’Artagnon started to pull away and once we onto Stetson Rocket gave chase. Highlander, Vortex and I kept them in sight and I ended up following the lead three at the airport while Vortex and Highlander headed back to Burger King. I caught the lead group at Sanderson where I turned and took Johnston home and they went straight. I pulled up to the house with just over 36 miles on the computer and a feeling of accomplishment. I am glad I know these riders and can call them friends.

No comments:
Post a Comment