Friday, November 11, 2011

11/11/2011
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)


I wasn’t sure we would be able to get in a ride today looking at the weather forecast. The overcast started rolling in last night and it didn’t look any better when I got up this morning. I still needed to put base layers on but it looked like I could avoid wearing a jacket. I waited till the last minute to leave the house and cruised easily to see who would be riding on Veterans Day. I pulled up to the parking lot and Dura Max was already there. By 8am it was just Snow Goose, Gambler, Dura Max and I. we headed for Domenigoni and a easy Friday ride.


Snow Goose is only with us about twice a year and that for only a few weeks. She mentioned that back home where she lives they just got 15 inches of snow and the ski season was about to start. It may be cool here but at least it isn’t snowing and there is no ice on the street. I thought about that all the way down Kirby and then west on Cypress as we headed to Sanderson.

Gambler had been off of the bike for a week so he wanted to go do some hill repeats on the Marina Hill. He made a break left at Domenigoni while we headed right and west towards Warren Road. With just three of us we managed to cruise along past Warren and I pulled us to Winchester where Snow Goose left and headed for home. Dura Max and I rode on to the saddle and then turned left through the housing tract to come out on Briggs and head south. It was a quiet day for a few contented California Cows.

Dura Max and I got a chance to quietly cruise along past Holland and head up to Garboni with very few cars to get in our way. It had warmed up just enough for Dura Max to remove his jacket and so when we got to the corner and before we headed west again we stopped for just a moment for the wardrobe change. I noticed a rather large house at the top of a hill while we were sitting there and wondered what the owners did to need such a large place.

We headed west to Antelope at a leisurely pace and then turned north to work our way back towards Newport. The wind was changing directions just enough to be in my face as we headed west and still in my face as we headed north. Once back on Newport/Domenigoni at least we had a slight tail wind and we took advantage of it back to Lindenburger and finally over to Simpson. I pulled us to Leon and we moved over to the dump road before heading east to Winchester.

We were able to turn north on Winchester without any delay and easily cruised up to Stowe and east towards California. One thing about riding on Veterans day was the traffic was pretty light and it stayed that way all the way over to Stetson and back to Warren. We could almost smell the coffee at Hanger 1 as we turned into the airport and finally stopped to have coffee and conversation at one of the outside tables. We could talk and watch the planes fly over. We could also watch the families wonder around the parked planes right across the parking lot.

Once we got back on the road it didn’t take us long to get back to Sanderson where we decided to ride back on Johnston where Dura Max could ride with me almost all the way home. The sky actually seemed to be clearing a bit as I turned for home and watched Dura Max continue on east. It was only 36 miles on my computer when I got home but it was a good 36 miles and I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment