Wednesday, March 23, 2011

3/23/2011
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)


It was a cool morning but at least it wasn’t raining and there weren’t many clouds in the sky. I got a text from Blood Hound so I knew he was ready to ride and a call from Huntress so I knew she would be late. It remained to be seen who else would show up. Traveler and Raptor were going to give Lake Paris another try so 9 of us left on Gilmore right at 8:30.


We worked our way over to Kirby and then through the housing track on Cypress to Johnston .and finally to the light on Sanderson. As we sat there we realized how fortunate we were to be living in Southern California. It may have been rather cool but we could still get in a ride and we didn’t need fenders or studded tires. As we were talking about this the light changed and we headed down Sanderson towards Domenigoni.

I started the pull down Domenigoni and pulled all the way to Warren Road where I gave the lead to Blood Hound. Blood Hound pushed the speed up to about 21 and I fell to the back of the line behind Ocelot and Dura-max. Somewhere about Winchester Ocelot pulled out of line and I pulled forward to draft Dura-max. I noticed Ocelot was falling behind to I told Dura-max and started to slow down when he told me to go ahead and follow the group that now had Attack Cat in the lead. After the traditional sprint up the saddle, dominated by D’Artagnon, we waited to see where Dura-max and Ocelot were. I called but didn’t get through so we left after about 10 minutes and headed for Menifee and then towards Scott Road.

I was last up the hill and we regrouped at the top of the little climb after Holland. It took a few minutes to catch our breath before we were once again on our way to Scott and then west towards Hawn. I once again found myself pulling till we got to Newport where Blood Hound took over and I finally fell to the back and rode with Highlander in the sweep position all the way to McCall. The lead group pulled the hill well before us but we all regrouped at the top of the hill before heading down the back side and out to Simpson heading for Chris’s. We expected to see Huntress back-tracking on the dump road before we stopped at Chris’s for coffee.

We had a report of a Pit Bull loose on Winchester so we made a detour back to Simpson and headed for Warren road. As luck would have it we passed a Golden Retriever playing the weeds that wanted to race us down the road. He didn’t pull anyone down so we continued on till we rounded the turn onto Warren and then made it down to Stetson to make the turn to the airport. I had already received a call from Dura-max telling me they had suffered a flat and would see us next time.

Once in front of the airport we slacked off on the pace a bit and worked our way over towards Sanderson where we expected to catch the light and regroup one last time. But for a change we all caught the light green. Highlander pulled us to Lowes and we turned into the driveway to run around the back of the store before pulling out onto Acacia

Attack Cat pulled around us and took off towards Acacia with Blood Hound on his back wheel like the shadow on a sun dial at 1230 PM. When Blood Hound latches onto your wheel he never lets go unless you manage to get him in front of you s he can pull. That didn’t happen this time and we ended up following them all the way back to Kirby and then they caught traffic at Gilmore and we caught up with then so we could make the turn together. It wasn’t a long ride; I only had 42.5 miles on the computer. But it was a great day for a ride and I think we all had a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment