Wednesday, December 8, 2010

12/08/2010
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)


We had tried the planned ride just a few weeks ago and the wind drove us back into a shorter ride. Today looked like it might be different as we assembled at Burger King to try the ride again. Wolf and Dura-max and Rocket were already waiting as I got to the parking lot. Sea Lion looked ready to go as he unloaded his ride and pulled up next to us. Gambler and D’Artagnon pulled up in matching kits tossing down the challenge glove saying they were here to push this ride. To my surprise Centaur was able to join us and got there just before Double time and Raptor. Raptor left just before the rest of us did and just before we got out onto Latham we were joined by T-3. I was pretty pleased to see T-3 because she had been AWOL for a few weeks and I needed her to push me.


Once we got down Latham and made the turn onto Lyon we set up a steady but reasonable pace heading north towards Ramona. T-3 complained that she was out of practice after being gone for so many weeks but she was talking a lot better than I was as we passed Menlo and picked it up a bit. While we were still in talking mode as we approached Ramona no one was falling back and the group was still tight. We still had to face the run down Ramona expressways so all I could do at this point was hold on and hope my legs warmed up before we got to Bridge Street.

Once we turned onto Sanderson we got separated slightly and only half of us made it through the light onto Ramona. We pulled up behind Raptor who had made the light just before us and followed him briefly till Double Time decided to pass him and the rest of us followed. Once we rotated through the line I realized I was feeling better than I thought as we all turned onto Bridge together. The big guns took off for Gilman while Dura-max, Double Time, T-3 and I trailed them by about ¼ mile. We took a quick break to regroup Gilman and Bridge before taking off to get back to Sanderson. We all got to Sanderson to regroup once more and got ready to run down to Ramona.

At this point I would have said you couldn’t have asked for a much better day for a ride. We have very little wind and while it was sunny it was also only about 68 degrees so it wasn’t too hot. Rocket told us he would have to break off before we got to State Street. It was a pretty relaxed ride as we turned back down Ramona Road heading back towards Lyon. I had to admit I was grateful to Wolf for loaning me a water bottle after I discovered that I had left both of mine at home. Rocket left us about Lyon so Wolf and I took the lead and pulled most of the way to State where Gambler took over as we made the turn and headed north towards Soboba.
I could tell as D’Artagnon and Gambler started to line up on Soboba and I was pretty sure they were going to make the run towards the golf course quick and painful. We made the first two hills in a group of five but split up a bit as we got to the flat part. I managed to pull back up to Sea Lion after has passed me like a freight train running down hill. We both caught Gambler and D’Artagnon and drafted them till D’Artagnon got up to relax his legs. I tried to make a break but I guess I went too soon and they reeled me in before I made the golf course hill and all three passed me again. After regrouping we headed for Shaver/Main and I took one more shot at a sprint. At the top of the river bridge I simply ran out of gas but I was feeling pretty good about the run I had so far.

We made the turn onto Mountain/Ramona and cruised to Carl’s with six riders still in the group. After stopping Raptor joined us and we rested and joked for a few minutes before heading back west towards Burger King.

After Dura-max left us at Park we quickly cut over to Cornell and then Devonshire for the downhill run back across town. T-3 and I broke off at Lyon and rode back to Johnson where I dropped her off at her house and headed for home. I ended up with 39 miles for the day and a good workout. I know it may seem like a long way to go for a a cup of coffee and a chance to visit with friends but it is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment