Monday, November 22, 2010

11/22/2010
By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)


After watching the rain Saturday and part of Sunday I wasn’t thinking we were going to get to ride Monday morning. Yes I put together a ride and made sure my base layer cloths were clean and ready but I was expecting rain when I got up to look outside this morning. To my surprise it was relatively clear and maybe even a bit sunny. Then I looked at the thermometer and noticed it was 34 degrees on my porch. It takes me a long time to warm up when it is cold and I consider today a cold day.

I was on my way down the street in at least three layers and two pairs of socks plus my long fingered gloves. I didn’t get two blocks before I knew I was cold and had my doubts if I was going to get a lot warmer. As I pulled up to the warmest place in town, the Burger King Window front, Dura-max, Ocelot and Wolf were waiting for me. D’Artagnon, Rocket and Cossack pulled up next with Gary and Attack cat not far behind. We decided to add the Marina to our ride to Cactus Valley and pulled out onto Gilmore right at 8:30am. It is a quick trip to Acacia then Kirby but my legs were a lot tighter than they had been all week.

I knew pretty early I wasn’t going to be pushing much today, in fact I was pretty sure it would be all I could do just to hang on. I figure, Cossack, D’Artagnon and Rocket would push the pace down Sanderson and then run us hard to the Marina hill. But they didn’t push all that hard and Attack Cat and Gary took us to down Sanderson and then east on Domenigoni. But we all knew getting to the hill was the easy part. Staying with Rocket and Cossack climbing the hill was another story.

I did reasonable well on the first part of the hill first following Attack Cat only have Rocket roll by followed by Cossack who took the lead before the big left. D’Artagnon passed me at the turn and then passed Attack cat and gave chase followed shortly by Gary. I simply couldn’t pick up the pace so I tried to just pick a gear and spin my way to the top. Wolf was gaining on me as I made the last right turn and I managed to get to the turnaround just before he caught me. We headed back down to see Dura-max and Ocelot on their way up. Turns out Dura-max was having problems with his derailleur and kept tossing his chain. We got to the bottom of the hill and regrouped before taking off for Cactus Valley.

Rocket, Cossack, Wolf and D’Artagnon took off in the lead and Gary, Attack cat and I gave chase. We started to close a bit as we got to Newport only to have an 18 wheeler break us up by pulling into our lane and almost shoving Gary and I off of the road. Without our little pace line we started to fall back on the lead group and rounded the corner onto Cactus Valley Road about 150 yards behind. We regrouped after reaching the end of the pavement and waited for a few minutes to see if Ocelot and Dura-max were behind us. It turns out Dura-max was still having trouble and it was slowing him down. We decided to start back towards State Street and the McSweeney housing Track.

Rocket and Cossack had to leave as we got back to Chambers so D’Artagnon, Attack cat, Gary. Wolf and I continued on to Fairview and then up to Wilson Mesa. We waited as we saw Dura-max and Ocelot coming up as we came back out of the housing track and then had to chase them as they ran back down Fairview towards Florida. D’Artagnon took the lead by Stetson and pulled us back to the bridge before the elementary school. By the time I caught up to him and Attack cat I was pretty tired and Attack cat pulled passed and pulled to Florida. I knew the run down Florida was coming but I didn’t think I could push it all the way to Carl’s. I planned on sitting back and watching when the final sprint happened.

I was in luck because as my legs rested on the downhill back to Carl’s the lead group was only about 30 yards ahead of me and they caught the red light at Ramona. As they slowed I laid into it and was coming up to the light at better than 19 when it turned green and Attack cat was just getting back up onto the bike. I flew passed him only to hear a loud pop and see his tire go flat. Looking at his tire after he got to Carl’s reminded me of black worm tracks under the tread. I don’t know when I have seen a tire separate from the case like his did.

A quick cup of coffee and we were headed for home. Yes it was cold and a hot shower felt great when I got home. No my legs never got lose but still it was a good ride and we had a good day. Any day outside on the bike has got to beat a day inside just sitting and watching TV. Add a few good friends and you have the ingredients for a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment