By: C. Kent, aka (Superman)
I know Labor Day is supposed to signal the end of summer but the difference between the last two weeks and today was astounding. Two weeks ago we were suffering through a heat wave and today it felt like fall. In fact there was a bit of drizzle as I rode to the Burger King. I was beginning to think I had made a big mistake not wearing arm and leg warmers. When I pulled into the parking lot Duramax had on a jacket.
As I parked my bike I exchanged weather comments with Attack Cat and Duramax and waited for Double Time and Warden to arrive. Soon Ocelot, Centaur, Highlander and a new rider, Benjamin pulled up while we waiter for Huntress to make a fashionable arrival. For an overcast and rather cool day ten people seemed like a reasonable number for a group ride.

It was pretty close to 7:30 as we left the parking lot and headed down Gilmore heading south. I was having pretty hard time warming up and my legs were still a bit sore from both the Monday and Tuesday evening rides but it was my hope that they would loosen up by the time I got to Domenigoni. It sure hadn’t happened by the time we turn off of Kirby.

We made it up the Johnston and then out to Sanderson easy enough but I was beginning to have trouble keeping my sunglasses dry. I kept looking for the overcast to start lifting but it just seemed to get deeper as a light mist almost like fog kept falling on us. In fact looking at Warden and some of the others you would think fall had already arrived.

We got out to Domenigoni and started our pace line as Attack cat took off on his own. However soon Benjamin and Centaur took off to follow him and the rest of us settled into a steady pace of about 18 or 19 MPH. Each one took a turn at pulling and we managed to keep it at an easy constant pace. There was a slight wind in our face so it didn’t take long before the lead rider had to pull out of line to beat the wind and to dry off. I think the lead group must have made it to the Saddle before we got to Leon.

I don’t know how far behind the lead group we were but not long after we passed Warren Road a black truck passed us and Mike waved as he passed us. Seems he was late getting to the parking lot and had to meet us at Winchester. He must have hooked up with the lead group and made it to the Saddle to wait with the others for us so we could regroup.

Try as we might we still broke up a bit before we got to Leon and Double time and Warden ended up leading us to the bottom of the saddle. Double time attacked the hill in front of me and closed on Warden and only lost is spin at the very end just before the end of the chain link fence. It only took a short time before we were all at the top of the saddle and regrouped for the next leg of the ride.

We made one pit stop at the Mini Mart on Newport and Murrieta before heading for Railroad canyon and Lake Elsinore. The climb didn’t seem to slow many of the riders down and once we made it to the crest of the canyon it was a quick shot down the hill and over to Mickey Ds for coffee. After a quick break we were back on the road and heading for home. Once again Attack cat, Centaur, Warden and Benjamin took off while the rest of us followed. We were all pretty close together till we got back to the saddle and over to Leon were we regrouped once more. After we left Leon Double time seemed to be feeling pretty good and he quickly opened a distance from us. I didn’t see him again till we got back to the parking lot at Burger King.

I was rather surprised as Highlander and I pulled into the parking lot to see that I had 47 miles on my computer. Considering how tired I was when I got up this morning I was just grateful I made it back at all. Still the cold weather was offset by the good fellowship of friends. I had a great time, tired or not.

No comments:
Post a Comment